Learning Communities

<p>Hi!
I was just wondering if anybody knows anything about the learning communities at Wisconsin, and especially about the multicultural one, which is really the only one I'd consider. They sound like a good way to form a small community at such a large school and you are guaranteed a spot in Witte. But are the kids social, etc?
Thanks!</p>

<p>I'd also like to know more about the Learning Communities (like Bradley).</p>

<p>i live in bradley right now. it's far away (the free bus 80 becomes your friend) but pretty location on the lake. also, it's nicknamed the "bradley liquor cabinet" (BLC = bradley learning community) and you can definitely expect to find alcohol. still, it's not a party dorm and people tend to be fairly quiet and just party/drink/study in their rooms. there are lots of people from china and other asian countries on my floor, and i don't really talk to them much because they kinda form their own group. however, i found one of my college best friends here and have had a pretty decent time. the blc plans a lot of activities..laser tag, dances, trips to chicago, skiing, etc. roundtables are pretty lame, but you get to know people to some extent (i'd join one fall semester just because). rooms are fine as long as you bring carpet or a rug and extra padding for the bed. laundry room, music room, social basement, dens, quiet study room, oh! and we have our own collection of dvds in after hours. you can go and check one out every night of the week if you wish. people who staff the blc are all really nice. overall recommendation: bradley is a good place to live though far away for SE.</p>

<p>I dont know a lot about them in particular, although my daughter is looking onto them. We are going to find out more about them next week when we go on a tour. The person we talked to about them I believe was Cal Bergman (student services or something similar) @1-608-265-7910. He was VERY helpful to get a better feel.</p>

<p>We also talked about "FIG's" which are First Year Interest Groups. It is basically a group of about 20 students that take a "core" grouping of 3 class together thier first semester. One of the classes is only those 20 kids from what I understand. The prof. that teaches the small class I think also meets with them otherwise too. Just another way to get the "smaller" experience at a large school</p>

<p>My daugher is looking at all LAC's under 3000 students other than UW, so both of these are very interesting to her.</p>

<p>DJD</p>

<p>Regarding comment about mattress pad- the one provided regardless of which dorm you are in is pathetic (discovered this as a parent at SOAR)- save it to turn in in the spring and bring your own, you will want one on top of the vinyl mattress cover (at least you don't need a waterproof one). Rugs are also good to have for every dorm.</p>

<p>wis75, I don't even know if you can call it a pad; it's more of a thin sheet. :P So you're definitely correct on that one!</p>

<p>Also, I know this is vague, but Target has really good mattress pads aimed at college kids. Mine's from there and it's so much nicer on my bed.</p>

<p>This summer there will be many good choices from many stores for bedding and towels- Target, Kohls, Penneys are a few.</p>