Legacy at U Miami

<p>How much easier is is it to get in as a legacy? (Applied EA) My stats are:</p>

<p>GPA: 5.5/6.0 weighted at a very competitive HS
SAT 590 CR 680 M 770 W and just took them again last week (hope to improve CR)
ACT 31 composite</p>

<p>Lots of excellent EC's, great recommendations and my dad graduated from U Miami.</p>

<p>What are my chances?</p>

<p>Will someone please chance me? Thanks!</p>

<p>Taken from the UM Admissions page:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>At a minimum I would interpret that as every legacy app will at least get a second review if there is any question of acceptance. In looking at the Common Data Set, legacy is listed as a consideration, so they’ll look at it, but I wouldn’t count on it being a huge tipping point. The fact is that with a 31 ACT and a GPA that converts to about a 3.67 on a 4.0 scale, I think you had a good chance of admissions before factoring the legacy influence. Adding in strong recs, essays and legacy status makes me think you have a strong chance of acceptance. Of course I don’t work in admissions so that’s only a guess.</p>

<p>At this point you’ve done what you can do, keep pounding away at senior year classes so that your mid-year transcript supports the work you’ve already done and relax.</p>

<p>I agree with Vinceh (who is always wise), you have an excellent chance of becoming a Cane! </p>

<p>Good luck to you.</p>

<p>How does a 5.5 gpa weighted convert to a 3.67 unweighted? I have a 5.4 weighted and a 4.0 unweighted…</p>

<p>It all depends on the weighting system. Most schools don’t let you go above a 5.0 GPA, so you both clearly have unique weighting systems at your schools beyond the variations in conversions to an unweighted GPA.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>This is why it’s important to list your UW GPA. Mumof2 posted that his/her W GPA is a 5.5 out of 6.0. Since we have no other frame of reference I simply converted the the 5.5/6.0 to a straight 4.0 scale.</p>

<p>(5.5/6.0) X 4.0 = 3.6667</p>

<p>There are different scales and weighting systems all over the country. I’ve seen a 7-point scale here on CC as well as a 9-point and even a 12-pointer. If you post a chance thread make sure an include your UW GPA.</p>

<p>This may be a dumb question… but how do you figure out your unweighted GPA (on a 4.0 scale) as my school does not provide it. is an A = 4.0, B=3? What about A+, A- and B+?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Usually if your school does an unweighted gpa on a 4 point scale, plusses and minuses don’t really count for anything, it’s just the base letter grade.</p>

<p>Thanks, one last question. When you figure out your GPA do you just use the year end grade for each class or do you actually use eaxh quarter. For example for 4 quarters if you had A B+ A A and for the year it was an A then would you count that as 4.0?</p>

<p>Yep, your GPA only takes into account final grades.</p>

<p>Oh thanks, then my unweighted GPA is 4.0.</p>