Legacy Question

<p>I'm a NY alumni who graduated from UW about 25 years ago. I have a daughter who will be starting the college process next year. Does legacy status help at all in the acceptance process?</p>

<p>Legacy status helps in certain cases. Your D (OOS) will be considered for one of the in-state spots (which is at least 75% of the freshmen class). Assuming her academy records are on par for admission, her chance is statistically better simply because there are significant more in-state spots available.</p>

<p>My s got admitted two weeks after all the required documents are complete. Although his scores, etc. are quite high, I did not know that legacy preserves him an in-state spot. Surprise! I am also an alumni who graduated almost 25 years ago.</p>

<p>My impression is most legacy OOS applicants are competitive on their own (in the OOS pool) so this "special" rule doesn't kick in that often. BTW, I highly recommend going to the upcoming Fouders Day event in your local alumni club. From the past experience, the university reps are usually on full disclosure in these meetings. I gained a lot of insight into admission when Chancellor Wiley was in our chapter a number of years ago.</p>