Legal Studies - Berkeley, Santa Cruz, USC

Hi All

Does anyone have their kids studied/enrolled this year in Legal studies? D23 is accepted into UCSC legal studies. Waiting for Berkeley and USC’s Regular decisions to come out. Deferred in USC. Since she is the first generation student in our family to go to college here in the US, we don’t have any idea about Legal studies. She wants to go to LAW school. Her first choice is legal studies and Political science. She got into CPP (Political science), and CSUF (Criminal Justice) all pre-law courses. Can any one tell me in detail about their experience of the law path? We are happy for her at the same time worried about choosing the correct one Legal studies or Political science or sociology?

Top law schools frown on Legal Studies and Criminal Justice as a major. (Those two are better for folks targeting law enforcement.). Poli Sci (or Sociology) would be fine for law school, as would any other traditional liberal arts major.

1 Like

Law school does not require any specific major. A pre-law student should consider what major is most interesting enough to get good grades in (GPA is one of the main factors in law school admission, along with LSAT score), what major may relate to the area of law being practiced (e.g. engineering for patent law, business for business law, sociology for many types of law, environmental science or studies for environmental law, etc.), and what major and course selection will help train and practice skills at reading, writing, and logic.

Choosing Your Major for Prelaw | Law School Numbers and other pages on that site may be of interest to your question.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your input @bluebayou :pray:

Thank you so much :pray: i will check the link

you are welcome. Congrats and best of luck to your D.

I agree that she should pick an undergrad major based on interest or what she’d want to do if she doesn’t go to law school. Criminal justice or legal studies are more likely to lead to law enforcement or paralegal type jobs, or really whatever she wants to do with a BS or BA, but not going to be a special boost for law school.

Got it. Thank you