Lehigh IBE vs Villanova for Engineering

Looking for help about my college decision between Villanova or Lehigh’s IBE program for undergraduate engineering. I was accepted in to both, and they would be similar in price. At Villanova I would go for four years for an undergrad engineering degree and get a minor in business by doing a summer class, or I could do the 5 year program where I would go for an extra year to get my masters. At Lehigh I would get a bachelors degree in integrated business and engineering, which is accredited as an undergraduate business degree, then I would have to complete an additional 20-30 credits to get an undergraduate engineering degree. However, I have found that the IBE program has very strong job placement.

I am not totally sure which branch of engineering I will pursue but most likely chemical or civil.

What is your question?

I think the first step is to decide whether you want to do the IBE honors program. If you do, then the decision is made since the program is only offered at Lehigh. If you choose that program, I don’t see any reason why you need to go for a 5th year to get the engineering degree since IBE is a specialty in its own right.

You can major in engineering and add a minor in business at either university. If you decide that you really want to be an engineer, then that’s where the real choice between the 2 colleges would factor in.

That’s how I see it.

1 Like

Lehigh’s IBE program is quite selective so congrats on acceptance (to Villanova too). It’s an unusual program and sets you up well for lots of outcomes in the engineering and finance world. One of my lifelong friends (EE and patent attorney) son did the IBE and got placed at one of the top PE / HF shops in the world working on pretty cool stuff.

1 Like

I would say for you it comes down to fit. With an engineering degree from either school you will have plenty of great options for employment or Grad school depending on your interests. If the business side of Engineering is more interesting you’ll likely end up getting your MBA down the road anyway.

Do you want to do technical work or be more business/finance aligned?

1 Like

I should add the IBE student I know took a fifth yr and received his Masters of Financial Engineering (quite quant based) form Lehigh. Powerful combination which helped land him at his destination.

I like the fact that he used his 5th year to get a master’s.

I want to do more technical work but I want to have the business skills to eventually be an Engineering Manager.

Don’t get the business background in undergrad. Companies hiring want to know that your intention is to be a technical engineer. The business classes will deflect from that and dilute the technical component of your degree. Do straight Civil or ChemE, get a job, and then have them pay for your MBA. Otherwise, what seems like a great package up front, might actually hinder you in the job market. Good luck.

2 Likes

IMO Lehigh IBE is a great program if you are looking for a mix of engineering and business. I’d consider:

1. Differences between the two programs – go through the course catalogues online and see if you prefer the straight engineering route or also taking business coursework.

2. Differences between the schools and which might be the better fit: ex. Lehigh seems more frat oriented, Villanova is Catholic and will likely have more requirements (ex. theology, philosophy) – you should be able to find this information in online course catalogues 3) location etc.

We are in the same dilemma. Only for my son it’s Lehigh IBE with ZERO aid, or LaFayette with significant merit. He is Civil as well.

Did you attend the IBE day last week?

Having @HPuck35 chime in on business and engineering combined programs would be helpful. He hired many engineers over the years.

I respect your opinion, @eyemgh. He’s talking about doing the IBE and then hanging around for a 5th year to complete the coursework. Obviously it would be cheaper to do 4 years of engineering and to later have his employer pay for the MBA. Cost aside, what do you think of the proposed 5 year plan with a double major, one of which is IBE, which is an honors track? I assume there is some prestige which would come with having a program like that from a school like Lehigh on the resume. Just wondering how the 2 options compare.

I know it’s a well respected program. I’ve always assumed though that it was best suited for engineers that work on the business side in the first place like IEs. It would also be good for if interested in FinTech. Everything I’ve read though about the OP’s planned path has always suggested not doing business as an undergrad. @HPuck35 has experience in the field though. I’m just parroting what I’ve read. That’s why I’m hoping he’ll join in.

1 Like

Thanks. I appreciate your POV.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for the advice

I did not attend it last week but I have been doing some virtual seminars. I have visited the Lehigh campus a few times.