Less Than A Month to Decide on Transferring, Nervous and Overwhelmed

I just finished my first year at a college in my home state and, after some negative experiences and realizations, I felt it couldn’t hurt to start thinking of transferring. The thing is, I chose to go to this school, despite it not being substantial for my major, because I was worried about leaving home. I turned down my dream school last year for my current college and I’ve been kicking myself ever since. Now I’m being offered a seat at that dream school again for this fall and I’m really unsure of what decision to make. I had planned on transferring during my junior year, not my sophomore year, so this is all happening a lot faster than I had expected. I know that the school in NY has a much better program and would give me more opportunities in the field I’m pursuing, but I’m scared I’m jumping into things too quickly. My current college isn’t very good for lots of reasons, but I’ve made the best friends I’ve ever had here. What if I never meet friends like them again? What if I lose my current friends for leaving so suddenly when I’m supposed to be their roommate in August? I know I shouldn’t base my decisions just on friends, but they really are so great and I hadn’t fully accepted the idea of leaving them yet. Any advice? I haven’t spoken to anyone about this but my parents yet.

Confused - you chose the home school for fear of leaving and had negative experiences.

Now you say but the best friends ever.

How do you have a chance to transfer now if you didn’t plan to until next year ? You obviously applied to do so.

I don’t have a transfer student, but I imagine anytime one transfers, there is the starting over learning curve. But that’s ok.

You know - life is long. Maybe you’ll live near mom later but this is your chance to experience a little independence.

I’m not sure if the schools and what you mean by one being more substantial but you’re kicking yourself for not going to this other school.

As long as you can afford to go, why wouldn’t you ?

Yes it will likely be hard at first, just like it would be next year, but hopefully you acclimate well.

You don’t have to go of course but why would this angst by any different next year vs this ?

Good luck.

Not that simple. The student is conflcted and has made the “best friends” they’ve ever had at their current instate school. Good luck to you @its_octavius_mary , and look at academic , financial, and social aspects when deciding.

This is tagged with musical theatre major - can you elaborate on the circumstances of your transfer a little? I was a MT transfer myself and you should know that many (but not all) schools will force you to repeat your freshman year to transfer into a MT program so that you complete their full sequence of performance training. Will transferring lead you to take another year in college? Can you and your parents afford that extra cost?

What were your reasons for wanting to transfer out of your current MT program?

As for your friends from your current school…you probably know that most actors live in a small number of American cities (New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles are the biggest theatrical markets, but Actors Equity tracks 28 liaison areas - i.e. smaller markets). Especially if you’re transferring to a NYC-based MT program, and if your friends are intending to move to New York after college (and even if they’re not!), it’s entirely possible you can continue that friendship in person in a few years. I went to college in the US midwest and I live in Toronto now, and I still see many of the friends I made in college quite more than I would expect to because their work takes them through my city.

1 Like

“I had planned on transferring during my junior year, not my sophomore year, so this is all happening a lot faster than I had expected. “

I understand. But op is looking to go next year regardless. I also understand many who have this goal upfront - never do it - any time in their four years and I actually like that outcome. That means the student made the right choice for them up front. After all, it’s highly unlikely that there’s only one school for a student, and often times the more “popular” school in the major means you don’t actually get as much opportunity because there are so many kids. This was my case undergrad at Syracuse. I saw a friend at a smaller school, smaller program and when I visited I was amazed with all the hands on they were getting.

Without ever applying?
They recruited you in July, unsolicited?

1 Like

Your dream school : is it affordable?
How important is MT to you? If you stay at your currrent school, you’ll graduate with MT as a hobby - if the program isn’t good, are you double majoring or minoring in something that will help you after college?
Being in NYC would definitely entice your friends to come visit so I doubt you’d lose them - promise them they can crash with you whenever they want to go to visit, I’m sure that if they’re good friends they’ll be thrilled for you and for themselves :slight_smile:
If the NYC program is better then it comes down to how important that program is to you.
But that dream school won’t offer the same opportunity again (they gave you a second chance, there won’t be a third) so if you don’t take it, you won’t be able to go. Can you live with that - Are you okay staying all 4 years at your current school?