Let an anxious junior know if she's aiming too high!

some of the REA schools do allow EA to public schools. I do not know specifically about Princeton. And are you sure about private school EA? I mean, you can apply ED to a school and EA anywhere you want so why not the same for REA?

confirmed! Princeton’s Single Choice Early Action does allow public EA applications but NOT private EA. (Notre Dame’s REA allows either one.) So worth reading the fine print anywhere you apply.

1 Like

Introductory statistics is generally only one semester, but a higher level calculus based statistics may be two semesters.

1 Like

Yep, I’d be doing Stats I and Stats II

None of the top students are taking Chem this year. Off the top of my head, most of my friends in the accelerated math program are doing AP Physics this year and AP Bio next year, I just was told the awful Bio teacher was still teaching the class and didn’t sign up because of it. I’m not sure if our AP Physics course is AP Physics C or Physics I. I’ll ask my friends what their AP Classroom pages say though.

edit: I’ve asked my counselor about my schedule for next year and she wants me to either take AP Bio or DE Arabic but not both, and when I told her my college concerns she said there was no rigor difference between AP ES and AP Bio so it wouldn’t really matter :confused:

Does that mean I can apply EA to any publics or just in-state?

Do you mean upper level statistics courses at a four year school like CSUEB STAT 320 and 330 or UCB STAT 134 and 135?

Or something at a community college? Most community colleges do not offer anything higher level than a semester course equivalent to AP statistics.

Hmm, I’ll double check the course catalog but I thought there was a Stats I and II. If it helps, all of them were transferrable to UCs and CSUs…

1 Like

There may be some community colleges that offer a two semester introductory statistics course* for the weaker-in-math students who need some additional preparatory work in math in order to pass statistics (to meet math requirements for transfer or some such). Given your math background, don’t take that.

*Example: DVC MATH 094 and 144, alternative to the one-semester MATH 142.

1 Like

That might be it – there’s a Stats III which I’m guessing is the equivalent of AP Stats. I’ll probably take Calculus III (multivariable is intimidating but the calculus professor is so nice that hopefully it won’t be awful) and then Stats III second semester.

any publics

I think you should listen to your counselor and take her first advice.

Oh awesome!! Do you have any suggestions of OOS publics with EA and merit? Ideally somewhere on the East or West coast with a nice campus and maybe a more academically focused student body – I’d like to be in classes with lots of engaged people who are excited to learn and discuss, but will still go to parties or trivia nights on the weekends.

2 Likes

U Delaware! My son who is less impressive than you got in EA with their top OOS merit award. They are known for outstanding study abroad programs as well.

1 Like

publics with merit that I’m familiar with listed below (most have Honors Colleges too). As for location and vibe you’ll have to assess for yourself. But don’t focus only on coasts-- coast schools are hard to get in to and less likely to give merit to OOS students. If you like west coast why not apply in CA? Not much merit but in-state tuition isn’t bad.

Oregon State
Univ. Oregon
Univ. Washington (great campus, no EA)
Univ. Colorado (Boulder is fantastic)
Univ. Wisconsin (lakefront campus, cool town, OOS merit difficult)
Univ. Minnesota
Indiana University (beautiful campus)
Univ. Iowa
Georgia Tech (urban campus, merit is hard, not sure about EA)
Univ. Georgia (traditional campus, lovely, not sure about EA)
Penn State
Arizona State
Univ. Arizona
Univ. Massachusetts (classic campus, nice town)
Univ. Utah (mountains and skiing, not sure about EA)

there’s others I imagine…

From everything I have read about UW, merit amounts for OOS are pretty small (under $10k), and OOS cost is relatively high (over $60k). It is on my son’s list but we don’t have high hopes for it being a very affordable admit. Do you have different information?

I haven’t looked at UW in about 2 years. The OOS Purple&Gold scholarship used to be $8500 but it does seem they were smaller last year (max reported was $5800) and yikes! UW is really sticking it to OOS students at $65k COA. It was about $53k when I was looking for my oldest D.

Honestly it’s experiencing many of the same woes at the UCs. I guess that’s why my younger two didn’t consider it.

1 Like

With respect to your list in general, this site may be of interest:

Note the inclusion of Williams and Hamilton, for example.

I think you can find smart kids anywhere but if you want academics and merit, in addition to others listed by @Techno13 you might try U of SC and the Honors College (tops in the country), Florida State Honors (inexpensive to begin with)and U of Alabama if you were to do the Blount Scholars or Randall Research. Bama has the most NMFs in the country. So smart people abound. UMD and W&M would be great to your interests but not cost wise. UGA would be an awesome get for your major - it’s highly ranked in IR. and while it’s not coastal but IU would be a great get through Hamilton Lugar School. Also not coastal but Miami Ohio has great merit and is known for teaching quality. No matter the perception you may have of a school, you will not be the only one like yourself and you will find your people.

I mentioned it earlier but College of Charleston is on the coast. While you would be a rock star Vs the average student, you’d likely earn the Charleston Fellows and International Scholars program with a great scholarship. My daughter gets paid to go…ie the scholarship is more than tuition and she has access to diplomats, a personalized mentor for international politics (a career person) and a lot of small group cool stuff. It’d be a smart safety in my opinion. And they do get smart kids - my daughters bff got into Rice, Penn and Vandy. People don’t always just go for the biggest names.

3 Likes

I’m definitely applying in-state, but if I didn’t get into Cal or UCLA (which I would pick with in-state over lots of merit at other schools), I would seriously consider an OOS public if merit aid made it less expensive than a different UC (maybe not UCSD, their IR program is fantastic) with in-state tuition.

1 Like