"Let Your Dreams Take Flight"

<p>Today my daughter received a folded marketing brochure from Purdue. The cover is a picture of a young woman standing on an airplane wing gazing wistfully into the distance. "Let Your Dreams Take Flight..." it intones.</p>

<p>I fully expected to open it and read about "Melissa Chou, class of 2013" (or somesuch), who is majoring in aeronautical engineering and aspires to design the green aircraft of the future.</p>

<p>No such luck. Just a random photo they bought from a photo service, I guess.</p>

<p>But that's not the best part! </p>

<p>One of the main "bubbled" highlights informs us that:</p>

<p>"Purdue graduates enjoy a 93 percent success rate."</p>

<p>In what? Life? Cricket? Sudoku? Fashion?</p>

<p>Alas, we are left to connect this meaningless statistic to anything we can imagine.</p>

<p>(and I'd sure like to hear what the other 7% are up to.)</p>

<p>I hope that the designer of this thing has already been fired.</p>

<p>That is nice. I would appreciate it if you posted your hate filled thoughts on Purdue somewhere else. Possibly the Indiana thread.</p>

<p>^ lol …</p>

<p>so… what’s your question?
maybe you should take over his/her job as a brochure designer
let’s see you do a better job than what you call “meaningless statistic”</p>

<p>oh. and about that 7%? sorry to break it to ya, but you’re one of them.</p>

<p>Oh man you are very right.
I really want to pay more tuition so that Purdue can send out personalized posters to each student for no reason. Maybe they could even send flowers and balloons. Your daughter wants to design a plan that runs on farts so maybe they could customize the card so that it turns into a fart plane. </p>

<p>Lol sorry but man this is a silly thread.</p>

<p>Stop ganging up on him. I had the exact same thoughts (well, nearly) when I read that brochure thing. (edit: Seems to be a brochure much like it, but not exactly same)</p>

<p>Purdue likes to spend a ridiculous amount of money on useless things…this is a common thought amongst students. Oh well.</p>

<p>Neil Armstrong Hall- Not useless, New recreational and athletic facility- not useless, nuclear reactor- not worthless, particle accelerator - not worthless.</p>

<p>100 million dollar mackey renovation? or ross-ade renovation in 2002 are two examples of outrageous spending.</p>

<p>purdue spends A LOT of money on things that are a “priority”. They’re building like 3 new buildings right now, but for what? No one knows. But they refuse to fix up a lot of the dorms, and you cannot argue with me on this because MANY of them need to be renovated and made up-to-date. Also, purdue is BARELY using the reactor, and if they actually started using it more, they would SAVE money. But no, they’re not doing that. Thus, tuition continues to rise for unnecessary things. Purdue just needs to get their priorities straight and fix their budget.</p>

<p>smahanru, what problems are you talking about in the dorms? I thought every dorm was fine and I lived in McCutcheon, Earhart, and Purdue Village. Without a doubt, PV needs to be renovated but its also one of the cheapest dorms. Harrison also got the A/C system installed so thats a plus. Why hate against the new buildings? So your saying dorms are more of a priority than academic buildings? One of them is the new HTM building and the HTM department deserves a new facility. It’s one of the top programs in the US and they are currently housed in Stone Hall.</p>

<p>yeah the new buildings are nice and whatever but i’m not in HTM, a new building doesn’t benefit everyone. they get a new building, cool but most of us/nearly all the freshmen HAVE to live in the dorms and some of them are not great. like owen, wiley and tark, seriously ford dining court is nicer than them. they’re probably the oldest dorms on campus after windsor, which i know they’re renovating but still. they seriously have not been updating recently, if ever. also, they said dorms like owen will never get AC because the building is so old…see what i mean? compare first street towers to owen hall, just because owen is “cheap” doesn’t mean it’s a great place to live, it’s crap compared to fst, which, of course, is way too expensive for a majority of students so everyone is forced to live in the cheaper dorms. and this is just my opinion…</p>

<p>Then what major are you in? Sooner or later, every program will get a new building. A new building can’t benefit everyone if it’s for academic purposes. Unless you want Purdue to construct a massive building with classrooms for every major in it which would be stupid. So your saying that the new CS building and Rawls Hall are a waste of money since they don’t benefit everyone at Purdue? There would be NO improvements in any program at Purdue if they couldn’t build a new facility since it doesn’t benefit everyone. </p>

<p>I understand where your coming from with Owen, Wiley, and Tark but to be honest, most of my friends STILL live in Owen and Tark and they are sophomores. The location is what attracts the students and to be honest, I agree the dorms aren’t that great. You shouldn’t compare First Street Towers with other dorms since they are on a whole, new level. Hillenbrand Suites should be compared to Cary Suites. More expensive dorms like Harrison, Earhart, Shreve, and McCutcheon should be compared with each other. Cheaper dorms like Windsor, Meredith, Tark, Owen, and Wiley should be compared with each other. There should be benefits for those who pay more for their housing like Earhart. It would be unfair if EVERY dorm had the same amenities to be honest. Every other school has housing options with different price tags as well so it’s nothing new. Not everyone is forced to live in cheaper dorms cause of First Street Tower’s price tag, it’s CHOICE. I believe they still have a waiting list to live there so it doesn’t affect any new student who applied for housing on-campus.</p>

<p>I’m surprised by the level of hate in this thread. Chill, people.</p>

<p>i completely disagree with that. and there isn’t a waiting list for fst, when i signed up for a room, there were still over 100+ rooms available on the last day of contract renewal. it’s just too expensive, it’s the same price almost as out-of-state tuition for me… who the hell has that kind of money? maybe fobs and the wealthy but i certainly don’t. but i would live there if i could but i don’t HAVE a choice. so to say that isn’t accurate. why can’t all the dorms we nice? why do we have to live in the ****ty dorms, where we spend at least 75% of our time, not in some new shiny building. and building a new building doesn’t mean there are automatic improvements in programs because of it. HTM can get a new building and have this great nationally recognized program but that doesn’t equal success of students once they leave purdue. HTM will still have low job security and lack of jobs despite a new building.</p>

<p>anyway, the point is purdue does spend a lot of money on things like this brochure and new buildings that they may not even be able to afford and they do ignore many other things.</p>

<p>smahru - cant agree with you on that, the dorms are plenty nice. I have been to other big state schools including those throughout the Big 10 and Purdue is just as good as any when it comes to the dorms. As for the new buildings right now they are building the new HTM Building which is necessary since its one of purdues top majors , and ME is which is also one of Purdues top majors as well as biggest, eventually Purdue will have built a building for every major on campus so everyone is impacted. Also one of the tenants on which John Purdue set when founded and subsidized Purdue a land grand institution was that a new building must always must be being built. The buildings can and will attract better students to Purdue. Also 50% of kids move out of the dorms after Freshman year, so I think money should be spent on academics not qoa. The new buildings along with the corec will help give me, as a Purdue student a better experience academically which is why I came here not to live in some nice dorm.</p>

<p>This is called “■■■■■■■■”. You guys should be familiar with this by now.</p>