Level of Applicant Interest Consideration

Is the level of applicant’s interest considered when reviewing the application? I’ve taken a campus tour, but don’t know whether it helps or means nothing for the application process. I also applied to an Engineering scholarship (Davenport) so does that count as demonstrated interest as well?

Common Data Set lists it as “considered” which isn’t high on the list.
My son didn’t make contact prior to his application, did official tour spring break senior year after he was accepted.

Essays are very important to VT. Demonstrating interest through your essays will be much more valuable than a campus visit, IMO. In the case of Davenport, I may be naive, but I don’t think the Davenport administrators speak with the admissions department, so I don’t think it helps - I may be wrong.

@STEM2017 if essays are very important how come on the common data set it’s listed as not considered?

@qazwsx1234 Wow! That is an excellent point! I wouldn’t believe it if I didn’t go and check for myself. Surely, it must be a mistake on the CDS. Virginia Tech requires a multitude of essays in their application, many are very specific to the college itself. That is very curious.

ETA: I just checked an older 2014-2015 CDS and it is checked as “Important.” Strange about 2015-2016 CDS. It could be because the essays are optional (but strongly recommended).

@STEM2017 But then if you look at 2013-2014 it says it is not considered again. This is quite strange. I am hoping my essays are what gets me in as I wrote my statements on engineering, and why I want to be a Hokie.

I’m not sure why they would specifically ask for essay(s) if they are not even considered.

We didn’t visit the campus till after daughter got accepted into the college of engineering.