LGBTQ Culture

I’m very proud to be attending TAMU, it’s the dream school for the program I’m interested in and I’m counting down the days until classes start in fall.
However, I’m a lesbian and have heard that the campus’ lbgtqa+ culture is…lacking to say the least. Do I have any chance of ever getting a date or is my love life to suffer a bit? I know the campus is very friendly, but are queer kids treated any different? Thanks!

Try contacting the GLBT Center http://studentlife.tamu.edu/glbt Also, http://glbta.tamu.edu/

There are two active lgbt organizations on campus that I know of and while A&M’s far from a lgbt culture hub, as big as it is, you can definitely find a little bit of everything

If TAMU is your dream school then by all means attend and join the LBGTQ organization and create a change in campus culture. TAMU however is consistently on the list of least friendly colleges to LGBTQ students. Never made it to my kid’s list because of this. After living in Austin their whole lives, neither could see themselves there. I couldn’t either although I tried to keep an open mind. On of my husband’s friend’s daughters attends and is very happy there. But the family is on the conservative side.

I am a current student and I can say with confidence that you have nothing to worry about. I have seen many lesbian couples who are open with their relationship on campus and nobody seems to bat an eye. While A&M is a traditionally conservative school, the growth of Houston, Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio has changed the demographics of the student body that was once based more on a rural population. Any lists that “rank” us a certain way are made by people who never set foot on campus or people who buy into a perpetuating stereotype. The LGBTQ culture is certainly growing with the rest of the student body.

Glad to hear that the campus culture is changing. It’s just that when someone asks if TAMU is LBGTQ friendly, that’s not what pops into my mind. UT Austin does because well, it’s in Austin. Rice also does because well, it’s in Houston- the first southern city to elect a lesbian major. Bryan- College Station is definitely on the conservative side and while perhaps drawing a more cosmopolitan student population, I don’t think it has a critical mass enough to consider it an accepting community to LBGTQ. Tolerant, perhaps but that is on a different criteria. Wish OP well.

I meant “mayor”. Typing on phone is difficult.