Life in Fort Worth

<p>I'm very interested in TCU but want to know more about campus life and Fort Worth. I've heard the phrase: Fort Worth is where Cowboys meet Culture. Is it a western town? What's to do on and around campus? Does everyone have money? Thanks.</p>

<p>Now, I am a parent so take this with “a grain”. Having spent some time in FW in the past 5 years (two kids), it’s a great area. There is a lot to do in terms of restaurants, culture, events. It is a little more difficult if you are into outdoors activities. Coming from CA, it was an adjustment for my kids to not have anywhere near as much of that – so son took up golf, shooting (hahaha) – because of area and heat! I’d describe it as “chill urban with a very young feel.” Almost all the newer, fun bars and restaurants are geared towards students. You can get into most bars as an under 21 (18+) you just are distinguished by wristbands for alcohol purposes. Not everyone has money but most have some discretionary income. My daughter has a modest “social allowance” and can get out on the weekends but she has to watch it --$$. Her roommate does not any extra money and between being unhappy in general and saying she can’t spend anything, she has limited options (I think it might be more her outlook than the actual $$). I would say that the whole Greek thing is very present on campus, especially with girls. AND, the ratio of girls to guys makes for an odd dynamic with girls trying to stand out…weird to even say but my daughter talks about it as being really noticeable…If you are a girl wanting to meet a guy – it’s tough. If you don’t care or are a guy, it’s no problem. Which was the case with my son, and now, my daughter. TCU is very TX – even though lots of kids are from the midwest and CA.</p>

<p>Fort Worth is a great town! It has true Texas hospitality and a lot of charm with great restaurants, bars, shops and hotels. There are festivals and concerts downtown often. There also is the West 7th Street area which is just off downtown. It’s a bit edgier and has bars and restaurants that attract the students. If you are into music, the Bass Performance Hall is home to the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra, Texas Ballet Theater, Fort Worth Opera, the Van Cliburn International Piano Competition and Cliburn concerts. The Fort Worth Cultural District features five internationally-recognized museums. </p>

<p>TCU is about 2-3 miles from the West 7th Street and Cultural District and 5 miles from downtown. It’s set next to Colonial Country Club – a very pretty neighborhood. Kids live in many of the houses on the outskirts of campus, although freshmen and sophomores are required to live on campus. Because half of the student body lives on campus, there is a big community feel. Lots of spirit and pride. Pretty preppy. Typical affluent private school but not snobby. It’s a very friendly group of kids. </p>