Life in the corps?

<p>So I've read on here all the time about how life in the corps of cadets makes the college experience different. and you have less freedom. and you have separate dorms. But could someone elaborate on just how different it is from day to day life aside from daily PT and military science classes and dress? What specific rules are there? how does it rule over your daily life? How difficult is it to have free time to study? What are the people in it like? Is it all huge guys who go to the gym 9 days a week, or are there your average slim but fit guys there too? Do you find it to be semi clique-ish or to be one big family? any input is welcome!</p>

<p>I am not a cadet, but i have friends who are. Yes it is more strict, but it is only unbearable and brutal the first year. What i have heard is that freshman get yelled at and punished all the time, so they end up hiding in the Library most of the day to avoid upper class men.</p>

<p>Belatedly replying to this. As a freshman your daily life is very different. Weekdays, you’ll have formation first thing in the morning so you’ll be up early prepping uniform, etc. even on the days you don’t have PT. You’ll go to classes in uniform and will have evening formation, then you’ll have mandatory evening study hours after dinner. Lights out is at 11, although you can request early/late lights out. You can’t just decide to go out and hang with your friends, and what you can & can’t do in uniform is regulated (ie can’t smoke, can’t use a cellphone while walking around in uniform, can’t listen to an ipod). As a freshman, especially in first semester, your daily life is very regulated. It’s really, really strict but you do gain privileges over the course of your first year and it gets better.</p>

<p>Ordinary guys join the Corps. Take a look at pictures of this year’s incoming class here: [New</a> Cadet Arrival Day 2011](<a href=“http://web.me.com/rock.roszak/Virginia_Tech_Corps_of_Cadets/New_Cadet_Arrival_Day_2011.html]New”>http://web.me.com/rock.roszak/Virginia_Tech_Corps_of_Cadets/New_Cadet_Arrival_Day_2011.html) and then take a look at other albums to see what New Cadet Week is about.</p>

<p>I have a son in the Corps. It’s tough, but it’s survivable and he says everything is worth it in the end. He’s made some incredible friendships with other cadets and has grown tremendously because of the training and challenges he’s been given. </p>

<p>If you haven’t yet done so, poke around on the Corps pages on the VT website: [Corps</a> of Cadets | Virginia Tech](<a href=“http://www.vtcc.vt.edu/]Corps”>http://www.vtcc.vt.edu/) Take a look at the section for prospective cadets and read the New Cadet Manual on the New Cadet FAQ page - it includes a sample schedule to give you an idea of what a cadet’s day/week looks like. Above all, take advantage of the Spend the Night program. You’ll get a chance to talk to cadets, see what Corps life is like and get a better idea if it’s right for you.</p>

<p>I’m going to be an engineering major so i anticipate staying up pretty late pretty often doing work… How does that work with lights out so early? Is it an easy task to request a later lights out time?</p>

<p>A good portion of the cadets are engineering students (including my son) and you can get things done in the time allotted. Remember, the new cadet schedule includes 20 or 22 mandatory study hours each week. You’re not allowed to be surfing the web, skyping, playing games, using facebook, be on the phone with friends, etc. during those times so you can get a fair bit accomplished. I think the only thing my son was allowed to do that was not directly related to schoolwork was to talk to us on the phone. You have to be working; get caught doing something else and you get demerits. My son is a good, but not great, student and he did not have to request late lights more than once or twice all year. </p>

<p>Part of the new cadet experience is learning to schedule things and how to use your time effectively. If you regularly request late lights they will be working with you on your time management skills. It’s a tough learning process and it’s stressful, but I know my son’s work habits improved tremendously over his first year. Most other parents I’ve spoken to said they found the same thing happened with their cadets.</p>

<p>that actually sounds like a great system. I wasn’t sure quite how much study time they allotted so I was worried. Thanks for the help. It was really useful!</p>

<p>i’m currently a freshman cadet.</p>

<p>i wouldn’t say it “sucked” the first couple of weeks because i mentally prepared myself before coming, so there weren’t any surprises. everything everyone has said on this thread is true.</p>

<p>i continue it only because i’m not easily phased by the yelling/demerits. there are far worst things out there than demerits. i mean really, LOL, i have to shine shoes for two hours. wow, big whoop?</p>

<p>but to answer your questions:
But could someone elaborate on just how different it is from day to day life aside from daily PT and military science classes and dress?
It is different because you cannot wear civilian clothes until weeks later (i’m already halfway into Red Phase and we still can’t wear them). Also, you have mandatory study hours, which means you cannot be on facebook/dicking around. You need to be doing WORK. Also, you can’t be in any clubs/activities/jobs (without permission, which is rarely granted). Think of it as a prison.</p>

<p>What specific rules are there?
There are so many. You need to greet every (EVERY) upperclassmen you see with their ranking whenever you’re outside, which sucks. Nine times out of ten they’ll just say, “Sup” but it’s still annoying. You also can’t talk on upper quad, which is the area where the Corps is located. You have to ask to scratch your nose, sleep past 11, wake up earlier than needed, etc. Everything is regulated. I can’t even begin to explain how many rules there are; if you join, however, just know that you will get things if you just ask. </p>

<p>how does it rule over your daily life?
It severely engulfs my life unfortunately. So much that I dropped six (yes six) whole credits because i couldn’t handle the workload. If you decide to join, TAKE ONLY 12 CREDITS regardless of what you’re majoring in. I didn’t heed this tip when I was advised of this and now I’m down to 14 credits (from 19).</p>

<p>How difficult is it to have free time to study?
Honestly, the only time I have free time to study is when we’re supposed to. I have gaps in my schedule for “free time” but it’s usually spent exercising, cleaning my room, ironing, eating, or meeting with advisors. </p>

<p>What are the people in it like?
Your bud class (aka the class you enter with) will stick with you. They are your support system. The upperclassmen are half and half; some are nice, some suck. They’re mostly nice. The ones that pick on you really have nothing witty or intelligent to say, so if you do come across that instance, just shrug it off. It’s actually pathetic. Just move on because you have bigger and better things to do than worry about a pretentious sophomore. That said, while we do have really dumb brutes, we also do have really cool people. What i’m trying to say is there is no gray area (at least i think so). I’ve had upperclassmen cadets be nice to me and even strike up conversation, which is forbidden (freshmen can’t socialize with upperclassmen). They’ve blatantly said, “Don’t worry, just keep it on the hush hush”. So while it’s unfortunate that they break rules, it’s kind of refreshing, really. </p>

<p>Is it all huge guys who go to the gym 9 days a week, or are there your average slim but fit guys there too?
Skinny guys, built guys, fat guys.
Skinny girls, built girls, fat girls.</p>

<p>Do you find it to be semi clique-ish or to be one big family?
Hmm, i haven’t been here long enough, but my training company (which is what you’re placed in as a freshman) is close. there are no cliques whatsoever. it might change when you “turn” (change from freshman to sophomore for example) but i’m not sure.</p>

<p>that said, take my advice with a grain of salt.
these are only impressions based on the 4 weeks i’ve been here.</p>

<p>but i highly advise you join it if you’re interested.
it’s such a great opportunity.
yes, the upperclassmen can be a hassle, and yes the rules are unfair, but if you look at the bigger picture, there are more important things to worry about than a 21-year-old yelling at you for not ironing your shirt. life goes on, and if there’s one thing i’m learning here, it’s to not take things so seriously. it’s a personal endeavor to improve myself by growing with my bud class, which may sound like an oxymoron, but you are your bud class.</p>

<p>good luck!</p>

<p>Thank you so much! I’ve really been hoping that I could get a recent freshman (or current) cadet’s perspective on the whole experience.</p>

<p>You’re welcome! If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me. </p>

<p>As of now, things are going well. I’m learning a lot both academically and within the corps. granted, i’m still making dumb mistakes but nothing too substantial. </p>

<p>again, i highly suggest you join. i cant stress how much fun i’m having, which sounds weird since it’s your freshman year is a prison. just come in with a good attitude. </p>

<p>however: you will get jealous. jealous of the civilians bc they look like theyre having so much fun in clubs that we’re not allowed to join, jealous bc they get to sleep-in, jealous bc they dont have to wear uniform everyday, jealous that they can listen to music, etc. you get used to it though. they, however, cant experience what you are undergoing, which makes it unique. your bud class is forced to love each other, which is hard at first but it’s possible. think of it this way (this is how my cadre explained it to those who thought of dropping): you will have your buds forever, whereas the civilians might not speak with their friends ever again after college.</p>

<p>For cjrrower and other potential cadets reading this thread, it’s also important to note that life does get better after Red Phase (the first six weeks of your first year in the Corps, approximately) and continues to improve over the course of the year. I don’t want potential cadets to be scared off thinking that Corps life is always as restrictive as resilient is describing </p>

<p>For example, you have to wear uniforms to class but usually gain the privilege of wearing civilian clothes nights/weekends not long after Red Phase. You can’t listen to an MP3 player while walking around in uniform, but will gain the privilege of doing so in your room at some point in the year (probably second semester). Male new cadets get ‘hair privileges’; hair has to be ‘zeroed’ out in Red Phase, but can be a bit longer afterwards). You will be able to have an extracurricular in second semester so long as your GPA is acceptable - most cadets ‘tap’ one of the Corps associations, but others go through Greek rush or join a campus club/team.</p>

<p>However, what doesn’t change is the bond that resilient is talking about and that there is a lot of fun as well. The Corps is a different university experience and is not for everyone, but is tremendously rewarding for right person.</p>

<p>As a mom of a current Freshman in the Corp, I have some insight to add. Our son is also an Engineering major. He took 18 hours last semester and ended up with a 3.4 GPA. Having Mandatory Study in your room Sun thru Thurs with no TV/Radio/IPod etc. certainly “encourages” you to , well , STUDY! Also, the Corp is a very strong community and there are Study Groups, Tutoring Services, you name it. If you have the aptitude for your major/course selection, you will do fine because the rigor of the Corp is designed for one thing: success. Success in PT, success in teamwork, success in ACADEMICS. The Corp does not want you to fail…but you must be completely bought in to the Corp and what it stands for or you may find yourself finding ways to “beat the system” which inevitably will lead to a miserable experience, both socially AND academically (not to mention demerits which lead to LOTS of running etc.). Make sure that you want to be in the Corp! Do your homework, talk to former and current Cadets,do a “Spend the Night” program. If you plan to participate in one of the ROTC units (which the majority of the Corp does), talk to the ROTC leadership about the VT detachment and what the expectations are in addition to the Corp expectations. There should be very few, if any, surprises when you arrive on campus to begin New Cadet Week. And one more tad of advice: WORK OUT during your summer. Run, Run, Run. Sit ups, push ups, pull ups, etc. No excuse to arrive at New Cadet Week out of shape. The expectations and rigor are published for all to see and you will be SO MUCH HAPPIER if you are not huffing and puffing in addition to the added pressures of college life and Corp rigor. Just a mom’s perspective, but I think I have it about right! :slight_smile: Good luck to all and I would like to add that our son is THRILLED with every aspect of the Corp and all that it gives/demands. I realize that this is a “moms” perspective but I thought it might be helpful.</p>

<p>Can you leave in weekends?</p>

<p>And text on your phone at all? Also, can you ever sleep at other dorms or have someone come to your dorms? Thanks.</p>

<p>My DS was accepted to the Corps and the College of Engineering. He was recently declined for the NROTC scholarship. Should he become a college programmer and hope for a sideload scholarship or hold off joining NROTC so he can reapply for a 3 year? Its so confusing!</p>

<p>Ben, as a rule you are not allowed to leave on weekends. You may go up the chain of command and request a pass but I think that during Red Phase is it not likely nor advised to do so. Also, every weekend of home Hokie Football is a “closed weekend” as the Corp marches in and attends every home game. You must be in barracks from 7-11 mandatory study and you may text/talk on your phone in your room. And no, unless you obtain permission (and for a very good reason) you don’t stay over in another dorm and others do not stay in your barracks. Again, exceptions can be made but you have to ask yourself if you want to be “noticed” by the Cadre for this kind of thing if not absolutely necessary. I hope this helps!<br>
p.s. the above info is for 1st year. Things change tremendously after that! You can even have a TV! ;)</p>