Linguistics Major?

<p>Hey,
I was trolling around on Bama’s Language School page(the one w/Classics, German, etc majors) and I saw a Linguistics Major Coming Soon.</p>

<p>Does anyone know when it’s going to be open and accepting students?</p>

<p>I’m not sure what to make of that. It looks like the entire Dept of Major Languages and the Classics website is being redone, so it’s hard to know what that means. </p>

<p>Right now, there’s no info on any of the Linguistic pages since the website is being constructed and many of the other webpages of MLC are also not complete.</p>

<p>I’ve often wondered why Bama didn’t have a linguistics major since it does have profs with Linguistics PhDs who seem to be in other depts…English, Anthropology, and Modern Languages. And, it seems like Linguistics has been offered as a track or something in the past within those other depts.</p>

<p>I wonder if this English professor would know:</p>

<p>Catherine Evans Davies, PhD UC Berkeley (her PhD is in Linguistics)
Email: <a href=“mailto:cdavies@as.ua.edu”>cdavies@as.ua.edu</a></p>

<p>I wouldn’t be surprised to see a linguistics major coming soon as it is one of the most popular student-created majors through UA’s New College.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>I was wondering about that! From looking thru the various majors, it occurred to me that a student could create a linguistics major in New College by gathering the currently offered linguistics classes. If that’s been going on, then Bama may as well create the major…the profs are already here.</p>