Lining up resources with classes. (Textbooks)

I would have classes where I am completly clueless on but I would find a resource, a textbook, that would make perfect sense on the subject I would be taking a class on; however, the materials don’t line up with each other.
For example, I took an engineering class in LabView coding, with no experience with this coding, and I would get out of class and not understand a single word of what just happened in class. I found a textbook called, “LabView for Everyone” and it made perfect sense. However, there would be constant assignments every week and it was pointless because I would not understand anything from the assignments. My question is, how do I line in an outside textbook, which helps me understand of what is going on in the classroom, but doesn’t line up with the class?

Also, is it me or are there a lot of professors at VT that deter from textbooks? I asked my bio professor about the “flipped classroom” method on where they got rid of the textbook and instead replaced both the lecture and textbook reading in videos, and she stated the reason why they were doing it was because of an education grant from NC state. Just wondering out of curiosity.