List of Direct Entry Programs from high school

Can we create of a list of all the direct entry programs straight from high school offered at colleges and where-

We all know nursing and the list of schools is on this site.
I know some school offer PT
What others are there? especially on East Coast

What kind of direct entry programs other than nursing? Do you mean undergraduate programs in health care? If so, these would include PT, OT, PA, respiratory therapist. Or are you including all direct entry programs? Engineering, computer science, business, architecture, etc.?

Im asking for a list of all direct entry programs from high school is all areas

That would be an enormous list of programs, since many majors and many colleges have direct frosh admission to major.

Or do you mean only health care profession programs leading to the degree qualifying for entry level into the health care profession?

4 Likes

Sorry probably not wording it right. I just want to know what direct entry programs there are besides nursing, PT, accounting, OT. Thats really all I know of that you can come right out take tests and be ready for the profession.

Come right out of undergrad and be ready for a profession? Or are you looking at those that require more schooling like OT, DPT, MD, DDS, etc?

What research have you already done looking for these programs?

:point_down:

There are so many majors! Do you want to narrow it down to a few?

2 Likes

Ideally right out of undergrad

I am still confused. Are you asking what programs you can gain direct entry into from high school - like you’d go straight into the nursing program from high school without having to do a year or two of classes and then apply to that program.

Or are you asking what majors there are where you can get a job right out of college in the profession without having to take more schooling?

Im asking for direct entry programs straight from high school

1 Like

For which majors / fields of study? We’re trying to understand your question.

daughter wants direct entry nursing program but trying to think of other direct entry programs to apply for as a back up. Like maybe some that are not as popular but that put her on the fast track to a profession

Nazareth (NYS) has direct admit for SLP (BS/MS)
PA also has direct entry
What about respiratory therapy (SUNY Stony Brook has a program)

These programs will be competitive and I would not view them as a backup. I would also hesitate to commit to one of these programs without having a true understanding of the profession.

There are also accelerated programs for nursing but this adds to the cost. She can also consider phlebotomy, dental hygienist, COTA (certified OT assistant) etc

Am I understanding your question correctly? Honestly, if she really wants to be a nurse then I would focus on being a nurse, at least right now.

4 Likes

I am not sure I understand exactly what you are asking. Perhaps are you asking for programs that allow one to bypass general education classes? That would be different than the conventional use of direct entry to a specified program after completing gen eds (and meeting any requirements of the program, such as a minimum GPA).

As an example, an ADN degree is one of the fastest ways to become a nurse. These programs bypass general education classes and focus entirely on the coursework needed for nursing. However, there are some considerations you’ll want to think about with an ADN. There may be career growth limitations with an ADN.

However, there are RN → BSN programs for those with ADN to advance to the BSN level which can improve job prospects.

3 Likes

Teaching is another profession that you can do straight out of undergrad, once you take the necessary tests. Some states require a masters within a certain period of time.

3 Likes

Correct. Continuing one’s education after an ADN will provide more opportunities and can often be completed while working.

An ADN or similar may not be what the OP is asking about. Hopefully they will clarify.

2 Likes

yes!! thanks this is what I wanted to know. Programs that she can research and consider. Keep em coming

thanks

1 Like

Whether or not you can enter directly into a major is really school dependent. For instance, my D is an engineering major and at some schools she could be admitted directly into her major as a freshmen and at others she would have had to wait and apply. She strongly preferred being directly admitted into her program, So when we were researching schools she started with those who had the major she wanted and then looked at wheter you could be admitted as a new freshmen into that major at that school and other factors that were important to her.

As for jobs you can get with a bachelors: I think there are MANY. My daughter just graduated and most of her friends who continued on it school were either going to med or law school OR plan to go into academia so are getting PhDs. But otherwise her friends got jobs. D was an engineering major so her classmates got jobs doing all sorts of engineering related things. She has business major/marketing friends who got jobs with different corporations doing marketing, sales, etc. One friend was a art history major is works at a museum. Accounting major got an accounting job. I think most degrees prepare you for careers right out of college.

1 Like

I have a comment and a question:

1. Your daughter does not have to pick a career now. If she is open to looking at other careers, then she clearly is not 100% set on nursing…? As I noted, there are many ways to be a nurse if that is, in fact, what she wants to be.

2. If your daughter is interested in health care, has she researched jobs on her own and looked into the level of education that is required? It is ok if she isn’t initiating this, as she is young and doesn’t need to know right now. Is she looking specifically for careers that she can enter after undergrad (no grad school)? I think I mentioned this but what about dental hygienist?

It is hard to keep these suggestions coming because the majors that lead to direct, specific employment (nursing, teaching, engineering etc) are limited. After awhile we will have exhausted all ideas. Keep in mind that many students have majors that do not lead to such specific careers and they find employment or go to some type of grad school.

2 Likes