List of Top, Prestigious Awards

Let’s compile a list of the more prestigious awards for high schoolers and assign a “prestige” rating to each award which is based on selectivity, honor, credibility, and overall impact on college admissions.

9 - TASP, RSI
8 - ISEF
7 - National Merit Semifinalist
3 - AP Scholar
0 - Who’s Who, National Honor Roll

I just added a few onto the scale as “reference” markers, but you can move those around as well based on what you think. Please add other awards as well!!!

What are TASP, RSI and ISEF?

How does this matter? Do your best and stop doing things just to padd up your college application.

2 Likes

well a lot of these aren’t exactly awards, they’re more like prestigious things to put on your application…

but put Siemens-Westinghouse with ISEF. starting your own business is always good; i’d say it’s a cut above National Merit Semifinalist. i’d put ISEF/S-W over TASP/RSI, unless you mean to simply enter it rather than actually win.

Division I athletic ability should get the 10, I think.

Here’s my list, based on yours:
10 - D1 athlete
9 - ISEF/S-W
8 - TASP/RSI
7 - other selective summer programs or competitions, such as YES, SSP, the Clark U one
6 - National Merit Finalist
3 - AP National Scholar, or whatever the highest one is

although frankly, i don’t think Who’s Who/National Honor Roll should even be ranked, b/c it’s not really anything

Where would the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards rank on here, in anyone’s opinion? I’m pretty sure they’re one of the most prestigious for the arts, but most of the stuff up here is science based…

1 Like

don’t forget presidential scholar! top 20 m/f from each state are invited to apply (based on SAT/ACT scores)…and a total of 120 are sent to D.C. to be “officially commended”…pretty big honor…it’s a national thing.

hmm i’d put it at 6 or 7; i did try for it once, but was rejected quite soundly. i’m not actually sure where it would rank, maybe if you found some people who have gotten it and are in college now? i can ask around too.

where would you put it?

I don’t like this thread… it makes me feel stupid

1 Like

The best award is self-satisfaction.

1 Like

I would make 10 - “Presidential Scholar”. It’s a really hard award to get. :smiley:

1 Like

Overall impact on college admissions is one of the criteria. Therefore, Presidential Scholar should be very low on the list…

2 Likes

I’ll add to yours: (what’s a D1 athlete? is that like competing in the NBA or something?)

10 - D1 athlete, IMO (etc.) gold medals
9 - ISEF/S-W, USAMO
8 - TASP/RSI, USPhO, USChO, USABO, MITES
7 - other selective summer programs or competitions, such as YES, SSP, the Clark U one

D1 means Division I.

It is the highest level of collegiate athletics.

Haha, now we should start ranking our applications by the sum of our awards.

Like if you’re a D1 athlete, a National Merit Finalist, and a National AP Scholar your application is a 10 + 6 + 3 = 19.

One more to add:
9 - ISEF/S-W, USAMO, published research (+20 if in Nature or Science)

1 Like

9 - ISEF/S-W, USAMO
4- Perfect Score (Multiple Years) on National Latin Exam, or other language

2/3-Bank of America Awards. Because I got one.
4/5-Prudential Spirit of the Community Awards
These may be school-specific.

I think National AP Scholar should be higher ranked…you have to pass 8 AP Exams with an average score of 4.0…thats a lot of exams IMO

updated list:
9 - ISEF/S-W, USAMO
7 - other selective summer programs or competitions, such as YES, SSP, Clark Scholarships, Scholastic Art and Writing
4- Perfect Score (Multiple Years) on National Latin Exam, or other language, Prudential Spirit of Community Award, National AP Scholar
3 -
2 - Bank of America Awards
1 -

people should give their opinions on the rankings too.

TASP and RSI should be 9’s IMO

Where would something like New York All-State Choir be? You need at least a 99 or 100 on NYSSMA level 6 (highest level) to even be considered.