List of Top, Prestigious Awards

BTW, how bad is it if you got suspended in 9th grade for calling someone gay? In middle school it didn’t really mean anything sexual but in high school it was suddenly considered sexual harassment!

Lmao, I doubt it’ll count for much. Lots of people at my school get ISS regularly for tardies. You only need like 6 tardies and you’ll be in ISS.

Actually, you can. I did that my freshman year, but I ended up paying for the test (like 45 dollars).

Technically, it applies to all divisions, but only because you need to know I/O for USACO, and AP Comp Sci doesn’t cover that. But I just thought it was funny when you compare that to the other science olympiads.

I don’t think National Merit Finalist is anything. It’s just based on your PSAT score…

Actually no. Semifinalist is. Finalist incorporates a whole application process involving PSAT, SAT, GPA, EC, etc.

YEah, but out of the 16,000 semifinalists, there are 15,000 finalists. It is incredibly unlikely to get booted out. What kind of SAT score do you need to get to be a finalist?

You basically should have an SAT score above, say 1000 (or 1500 for the three part).

Among 1,000 or so kids that actually don’t make the jump from semifinalist to finalist, probably about 80% don’t bother filling out the lengthy application. The rest is probably due to serious academic transgressions and stuff.

What Gpa do you need

how much would science olympiad state medals in a competitive state (NY) be?

how do you know which awards you’ve gotten? i’ve gotten things in the mail for who’s who and everything but i don’t remember them

Uh, If you don’t remember them, they’re probably not important enough to be mentioned. Like Who’s Who’s doesn’t mean anything.

I got who’s who and national honor roll, lmao, I guess my awards aren’t amazing enough, haha

but hopefully i got AP National Scholar too

Does anyone know where qualifying for national debate/speech rank up there?

^ I would consider it very, very impressive (if you’re referring to the NFL). However, at top schools, it doesn’t compensate for mediocre scores or grades.

Qualifying for NFL nationals is that impressive? I’m sure that winning it would probably be 8-10 range, but for example, in my district there are usually 3 policy debate teams that qualify and there are only about 12ish teams that are actually serious about policy (the rest are all fill teams so that we can qualify that many).

Can someone else second chaotic’s opinion?

What about being a published writer?

^^Anyone can be a published writer. It depends on how many books you sell. For example, my friend has sold over 5000 copies; I would consider that an impressive achievement.

Anyone know how impressive Boys Nation or Boys Nation Alternates are?

disclaimer: i did lincoln-douglas on the national circuit, and i’m kind of elitist.

qualifying to nfl nationals is not impressive, in part because many districts aren’t competitive at all in certain events. in debate, you really need to make it to round 13 or 14 before you really have something bragworthy, especially because nationals is not even close to the hardest tournament on the circuit.

qualifying to TOC in policy or LD is impressive. i don’t know a lot about the policy circuit, but breaking a few octas bids in LD (greenhill, st marks, glenbrooks, emory, etc.) is impressive. getting to late outs in lower bid tournaments is impressive.

8- Intel Semi-Finalist/ISEF
9/10- Intel Finalist

Why is Who’s Who ranked so low?
Cuz I’m on that, but since it’s so low,
would putting it on your college app. hurt your chances?