List of Top Summer Programs 2021

Hey guys, this is a copy of the popular “List of Top, Prestigious Awards” thread, but for summer programs only. Let’s make a list of the top summer programs for high schoolers based on selectivity, honor, credibility, and overall impact on college admissions, etc.

Feel free to make changes or add on to the list; this is by no means “correct” or comprehensive.

10: Congrats

9: Almost a ticket to a prestigious school
RSI
TASP (no longer exists)

8: Amazing accomplishment; Large boost

SSP
SIMR
MITES (not available for 2022)
Clark Scholars
Simons

7:

HSHSP
Garcia
SUMAC
ROSS
PROMYS
Bank of America Student Leaders
CMU SAMS
BU RISE Internship

6:
UC Davis YSP
UCSB RMP
SSRP
U of Iowa SSTP
USA/Canada Mathcamp
SIP UCSC

5: Pretty good; will complement an already strong record
Yale YYGS
UF SSTP
COSMOS
TASS
LBW UPenn
SEAP
BU RISE Practicum
M&TSI UPenn

4:
Many Governor’s Schools
LaunchX

3:

2:

1:
“Pay-to-Play” Programs (Many University Summer Schools )
CodeDay Labs

Edits and updates to this list are based on recent program graduates’ college matriculation data and a few other factors (ie acceptance rate increases/decreases)

2 Likes

Given that several of your more highly ranked programs are quite pricey, how would you characterize “pay to play programs?” No financial aid available? Some assessment of the academic quality of the experience?

If you feel differently about any of the programs, feel free to edit and share a revised version

imo a lot of governor’s schools are definitely on par with a lot of top programs, not to mention that they are free. they’d definitely be higher up.

3 Likes

why is tass ranked lower than tasp? just curious as I am attending tass for sophomore summer this yr.

TASP is the real thing. TASS is not as rigorous I don’t think

Hey Guys,

How do you rank RMP vs M&TSI? Which is better ranked - they are both under #7?

I think it really depends on your goals. Both are very good programs (and expensive) but M&TSI is better if you want to pursue the intersection of business and tech. RMP has options in humanities as well as the sciences, so it likely appeals to a broader range of people.

1 Like

What about ISSYP?

This is such a math- and science-heavy list. What about kids who are interested in government, economics, or political science? (Besides Clark Scholars.) Thanks!

1 Like

Is SRA or RMP at UCSB better?

1 Like

Where do you think the Rutgers Wise program would rank?

RMP is significantly more prestigious

What about UCD YSP?

1 Like

Is it difficult to get into out of state? If so, are there any programs not listed here in the northeast that are considered “prestigious”

1 Like

YSP is good. I don’t know about RMP out of state or New England. There are some good governor’s schools

This post is now a wiki - anyone can edit the first post to update the list of Summer Programs.

Related thread (but older): Summer Programs That Look Good on College Applications

1 Like

Where do NIH, SAMS, MOSTEC and MDI fall in the rankings?

Where would doing paid summer research at a well-known STEM university rank?(will present regionally in fall)