List of Top Summer Programs 2021

Paid as in YOU pay to do it or the lab pays YOU to do research?

I’m going to be paid (13.5/hr)

Where would the Adroit Journal Summer Mentorship program rank?

Hi I got admitted to SSP (Biochemisty) and still waiting for Garcia. I am considering bio major and I am concerned between them as I am not sure SSP is a good program for bio chem. I am also considering to participate in research competitions, which one is the better choice?

Overall, SSP is second to only RSI for college apps. SSP biochem is reputed and has been for over a decade.

RMP is more selective of the two

Which is better, PGSS (Pennsylvania Governor’s School for the Sciences) or Garcia?

Have you already gotten into Garcia? I thought the results weren’t out yet?

Also, I heard virtual Garcia was kind of a let-down because it’s not very independent. They put you in teams of like 4 people. I’d strongly consider PGSS.

Haven’t yet, but decision date to commit to PGSS is soon.

Is there a specific date Garcia decisions will be released this year or is it just random?

Made an account on here specifically to post this. I feel pretty strongly that there are some major issues with these rankings. The biggest problem was the single most overrated program by leaps and bounds: SSP. SSP is a paid program and no amount of finanical aid is enough to recover from that. Paid programs are always viewed less favorably than free programs (due to lack of equal opportunity). There’s a reason for that: money has to come from somewhere and when attending a free program, you have to be so qualified that somebody/some organization is willing to put their money behind you. SSP boasts about their acceptance rate which other programs do not do. The funny thing: their acceptance rate isn’t even that low compared to other programs. Most of the other top free programs have 4-8% acceptance rates. The only reason I’m so critical of SSP is because plenty of people are fooled into turning down free top programs and instead spending cash to attend SSP because they believe it’s “right below RSI.” I think this belief stems from the large number of admitted applicants who are active online and want to believe it’s the ■■■■. I can’t say I’m completely correct about anything because I’m not an expert; nobody is. I think I know a little bit about the various programs that exist and I know people who have attended most of the top programs. I’ll do my best to rank the ones I know.

NOTE: Won’t hop on this account again but feel free to interpret this as you wish. These programs are all amazing and us young people are fortunate that these exist to create meaningful summer experiences.

10: Congrats

9: Almost a ticket to a prestigious school
RSI (I know a few people who went and one person literally got rejected from most schools so not a guarantee. I was shocked.)
TASP

8: Amazing accomplishment; Large boost
Clark Scholars
Simons
MSKCC HOPP (idk why that wasn’t here)
NIH-SIP
Rockefeller SSRP
ROSS
PROMYS
SIMR

7:
M&TSI [UPenn]
MOSTEC
MITES
Garcia
HSHSP

6:
[UCSB] RMP
[CMU] SAMS
Summer Science Program (SSP)
UF SSTP
SUMAC
SIP [UCSC]
BU RISE Internship
5: Pretty good; will complement an already strong record
[Yale] YYGS
COSMOS
TASS

SEAP
BU RISE Practicum

4:
Many Governor’s Schools
LaunchX

3:

2:

1:
“Pay-to-Play” Programs (Many University Summer Schools )
[CodeDay Labs ]

There were a lot of crappy rankings tbh. M&TSI and SSP were totally out of place. HOPP was missing. Ross was too low. Lots of other changes

Can’t rank the following due to lack of knowledge:
U of Iowa SSTP
Mathcamp
Bank of America Student Leaders
LBW [UPenn]

I actually attended M&TSI, and I can attest that

1. The program itself was overhyped
  2. The college results for M&TSI attendees were very underwhelming.

my friend who went got into M&T for college

1 Like

about 15-20 ppl got into Penn and 6(?) to M&T from the ~96 that were at M&TSI this year. Most who got in were ED. Only 2 got into Stanford. 1 that I’m aware at Harvard. The results were nowhere close to those of SSP.

Back when the M&TSI cohort was smaller, the college acceptances were much better. It doesn’t seem to provide a huge boost other than to Penn ED non-M&T. M&T has about a 2% acceptance rate I believe and M&TSI accepted kids are probably 2-3x more competitive than your average M&T applicant anyway…

Anyone have any thoughts on the Penn online Business Leadership Academy vs. LBW? I was accepted into LBW for last summer and was planning on doing it this year, but it was cancelled again. I am going to do the online program regardless.

1 Like

My son got into: NIH, SSP, Rockefeller, SIP, SAMS, MOSTEC, YSP, a local research program in Texas with 6% acceptance, and a couple more.

Note- Jackson Labs, HSHSP, SIMR were cancelled for 2021.

I would rank the science programs as such: (Of course this is very subjective). I do believe the priority order isnt based off of just selectivity as Rockefeller was at 5% this year, MDI was at 2% this year.

RSI
Jackson Labs
SSP
SIMR
MITES
Clark
HSHSP
SAMS
Simons
MDI
Rockefeller
BU Rise
Garcia
RMP
MOSTEC
YSP
SIP
SSTP Iowa
UC RIBS
RABS
UF SSTP
COSMOS

BTW- each of these programs is awesome and should give the participant a great experience and insight into science.

2 Likes

where would you rank UCD YSP among this list? thank you

I think someone else also alr asked you this, but where would you put UCD YSP on this list? thanks

where would welch summer scholar program be?

Lol you forgot to switch accounts

1 Like