Living at Home

<p>Are there a lot of commuter students.</p>

<p>My kid could commute, to save money, but I fear that he would then miss out on the "college experience"</p>

<p>It may be a good idea to live on campus for freshman year since you will meet more students living in the dorms and become a part of a tight knit community on your floor. It also encourages independent living beyond the home. Then, he or she could move back home and still maintain his or her core group of friends. At this point, he or she should join the Association of Commuter Students and become heavily involved. If your student is highly outgoing this could work out well. However, living amongst mostly other freshman students makes it easy to make long term friends who they will see everyday.</p>

<p>There are a large number of commuter students, but this statistic becomes manipulated by the large number of upper classmen who move to off-campus apartment complexes, many in Kendall and Brickell.</p>

<p>One of the most important aspects of this decision is how outgoing your student is. He or she will make many friends if he or she chooses to carefully select and participate in clubs, intermural sports, or other activities.</p>

<p>I’d live on campus. It’s far more convenient for classes and getting involved and meeting people. Besides, depending on how far you live from campus it might actually be the same price when you factor in gas costs.</p>

<p>As a local Miami person attending UM, I cannot stress enough how important living on campus is. I have a bunch of friends from home who commute to UM, and they are not nearly as happy as those who live on campus. My commuter friends are the only people who I’ve met who are even remotely dissatisfied with the school, but that’s because of their situation, not because of the school itself. </p>

<p>Living on campus, especially freshman year, is so very important to shaping the college experience. My mother and I faced the same issue you’re deciding on, and ultimately decided to pay for me to live on campus. It’s quite possibly the best decision we’ve made all year, because nothing quite compares to dorm living. It creates a bond with people that is impossible to achieve if you’re running home after class. </p>

<p>I’d say have your son live on campus if you’re able to. There’s really nothing like it.</p>

<p>There are a lot of Miami/local kids at UM but many of them choose to live on campus for a few reasons:
a) It’s easier to meet people, especially your freshman year.
b) Getting to class is also easier. Morning traffic in Miami is a nightmare.
c) It’s a beautiful campus. (This may be the most superficial reason of the three, but it’s true.)</p>

<p>Yeah, there are commuter students, but I really think he should live on campus his Freshman year. I’ve met all of my best friends on my floor or just around the dorm. There’s really nothing like living together when it comes to meeting people and making friends.</p>

<p>A lot of people move off campus after Freshman year, so he could maybe commute as a sophomore on.</p>