living off campus question

Hello! I won a scholarship that will pay for part of the cost of housing at A&M as long as I live off campus (At the Cambridge in college station) . I don’t know if I should accept it because I was hoping to live on campus freshman year. The scholarship is makes me pay 6000 a year with renewal (if I have a 3.5) and it covers housing and an unlimited meal plan.

What are the pros and cons of me living off campus?
Is it worth the cost ?
Will getting to class be that much harder

@lessonwitch2 First of all, congratulations on the scholarship! I don’t have any answers for you, but would you mind sharing a few things? Such as when you were awarded the scholarship, if you were notified through your financial portal, and if it competitive?

Will you have a car whenever you go to college? I’m sure that would help a lot, but I do hear that parking on campus is pretty tough. Maybe if this is a new program they are implementing for freshmen to try and make room for more to attend CS, they will help make transportation easier with some sort of shuttle or bus schedule?

@rvhappynow

• I received it February 24th
  • It was an outside scholarship that I applied for and so it didn’t show up on my financial aid portal
  • it is merit based and only available to residents of Texas
  • it’s called the Texas Student Housing Scholarship

I might bring a bike but not likely a car and outside there is a shuttle that takes a few mins to get to the center of campus.

Thank you for the details! Congratulations on this! I know you want to live on campus, and perhaps some on campus housing will open up later in the spring, but this is still a great opportunity and a cool way to get more funding.

Oh I forgot that part, I am guaranteed housing right now because I got my spot in December so I two choices- live on campus for about 8k or off campus for about 6k.