Living on campus freshman year

<p>Ok so I have this burning question</p>

<p>as a freshman is it MANDATORY to live in an on-campus dorm at any of the campuses
Also I have heard that Freshman are not allowed to have cars on campus either is this true?
I have read how many freshman choose to live in dorms, but they are not forced to.</p>

<p>Please Help</p>

<p>of course ur not required to live in the UC >.< and it’s not mandatory to live in dorms BUT you should since its an experience :slight_smile: and heck ur guaranteed a spot to live in ur first year, so u should take advantage of it >.<. and who wants to live home with their parents still >.<</p>

<p>bump 10char</p>

<p>Why do you need a car and why wouldn’t you live on campus?</p>

<p>can you just answer me rather than asking excess questions. I need a car to get around town</p>

<p>^Why not just look on the school websites? Some UCs let you and some don’t.</p>

<p>everyone i know had a car their frosh year. just buy a parking pass.</p>

<p>live on campus, you will regret it if you dont. learn alot about yourself and about how to live with other people</p>

<p>You’re going to want to live on campus your first year. </p>

<p>And yes, cars are allowed, I know a lot of my suitemates who have one. You have to buy a parking pass each quarter I believe?</p>

<p>I’ve been on quite a few college tours and was told by just about all the tour guides to not bring a car on campus during Freshman year. It’s not that it’s not allowed; it was just discouraged because they say freshmen are easily taken advantage of, and you’ll end up being a chauffeur for everyone else, or your car will be borrowed by everyone. So if you’re good at saying NO to people, then go for it :)</p>

<p>You are never required to live in the dorms and you are never prohibited from bringing a car.</p>

<p>You can live wherever you want and if you look at the student budget for each UC campus, the fees reflect that (there are usually three fee structures: on-campus housing, living with relatives, off-campus housing).</p>

<p>If you have a legitimate reason for having a car, such as caring for sick relatives living far away, disability, etc., you can petition to receive campus parking. If you live off campus, you can either find a place with parking or park on the street. Availability of parking space and street parking will vary depending on campus setting.</p>

<p>Just like many others said, you are not required to live on campus, but I would recommend it your first year, as it it is easier to make friends, get involved, and get to your classes.</p>

<p>About the car, I’m pretty sure it depends on the UC. I know at UCSD they discourage freshman from having cars due to an ever decreasing amount of student spots, but they won’t actually stop you from bringing a car. You would have to check other UCs’ parking sites.</p>

<p>I know at LA, and probably everywhere else, the main problem is parking spaces. You can get a permit if you have a reason for it, otherwise you enter a lotto for one; they’re also quite expensive and public transportation is, for most things, not terribly inconvenient.</p>

<p>dude.</p>

<p>live in the dorms if you can. </p>

<p>dorm life is definitely something i miss.</p>

<p>just live in dorms. even if you hate it , it will be something you will miss out on. i did CCC for 3 years, dont make my mistake. just do the whole college life expperience and learn how to live with a stranger and hafe fun</p>

<p>I’m currently a freshman at a UCDavis. As for UCD, you can bring a car if you want to, they cannot keep you away from bringing one, I know people with cars here. Just one thing, they are just not going to sell you a parking permit… so you will have to find a place to park on the streets or at someones apartment or something. </p>

<p>As for dorm life, dorm life is something you do not want to miss. I will be moving out of my dorm in a few months and I am definitely going to miss being so close to all my friends. Living next door to a bunch of people you love to hang out with isnt something that comes by easily. Take advantage of dorm life :slight_smile: You don’t need to bring your car, I didn’t bring mine. Why do you need a car if you are on-campus? Just make some friends who have cars and get rides from them :)</p>

<p>bingo^ </p>

<p>and dont be spoiled and get an appartemtn for your first year. stupid rich kids</p>