Lofted Beds

<p>My D are looking into getting lofted bed and I wonder if anyone has any info to share?
Potential dorm is Shreve. How common are they? Do they have variable height or just fixed? Is it a separate unit or one that supports 2 beds ? I mean you don't have to depend on roommate getting the same to get one for yourself, right? Thanks.</p>

<p>Very common. You can change the height, but I would recommend having the Shreve staff do it to prevent injury. It technically could hold 2 beds, but you could just bunk your beds for free instead of paying the extra fee for the loft.</p>

<p>I’m not sure what your last question is, but the roommates choose the bed choices separately… So one can be lofted and the other can be un-lofted. Or you can talk together and get bunked beds.</p>

<p>Just an additional note that if you are a GUY assigned to one of the common freshman rooms (cough <strong>cells</strong>) in Cary South…</p>

<p>If one roommate wants to loft, both have to loft, as both mattresses must go on top. The entire loft frame (rented behind Cary from the Original Loft Co.) takes up almost the entire room. Be sure to contact your roommate before move-in day to decide whether or not to loft because the first person there will need to go rent/pick-up/assemble* the loft before anything is moved into the room or unpacked. Trust me on this one!</p>

<p>That was the last part of my question.
I am confused now.<br>
Does the frame support 1 bed or both beds?
If both then you have to talk to your roommate before hand ? How do you get in contact with her ?</p>

<p>You’ll get emailed your roommate’s name, email address and a phone number sometime in July when rooms are assigned.</p>

<p>Oh, and at least in most dorms that I know it doesn’t matter if both loft or not. I live in Earhart, which is basically identical to Shreve, and I lofted but my roommate did not.</p>

<p>@ fire123</p>

<p>The loft frame, supplied by The Original Loft Co., which has <strong>both</strong> mattresses on top is only used for those residents in the small double rooms of Cary South. All other residence halls (including the rest of Cary) rent lofts from University Residences, and these are single lofts that each individual roommate decides to use or not.</p>

<p>naturaldisaster is correct. You will be provided with your roommates name and contact information in mid-summer.</p>

<p>Got it. Thanks.</p>

<p>Sorry to bother you again, I am trying to look up the bed size, at the Housing link it says Twins, but then the faq,
[Frequently</a> Asked Questions](<a href=“404 Page Not Found | Purdue University Residences”>404 Page Not Found | Purdue University Residences)</p>

<p>says:
The standard residence mattress size is 36” x 78”. </p>

<p>That is not a standard size that I know.
Twin is supposed to be 39" wide x 75" long
and Twin XL is 39" wide x 80" long</p>

<p>Which is the correct size?</p>

<p>I used regular twin sheets/mattress pad/blanket/comforter and they fit just fine!</p>

<p>My sister (who was also in college) and I found that twin sheets usually worked on XL twin beds. It was a tight fit, but they worked. IMHO, it’s not worth the time searching and cost involved to find XL bedding.</p>

<p>Fire, they have a custom sized bed, it’s weird. I use twins, and it works.</p>

<p>Thanks all. I probably overthink this stuff.</p>