Lofts

<p>My daughter is determined to have a loft in her dorm room. The university link to loft providers shows only metal lofts. We would prefer a wood one. Are they allowed at Miami? Are there companies who put them up for you? Can you buy a used one once you get there?</p>

<p>There is definitely info about lofting beds on the facebook page.</p>

<p><a href=“Redirecting...”>Redirecting...;

<p>Also, during move-in there are numerous enterprising students who have pre-measured/pre-cut lofts that they will assemble for you in the dorm room. There are a couple of problems though:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Move-In day is a zoo to begin with; add all the new students trying to get lofts and you could find yourself waiting for hours to have yours assembled.</p></li>
<li><p>The student is responsible for disassembling and disposing of the loft. You are on your own for that part of the project, unless you don’t mind paying the fee the university will hit you with for not emptying the apartment.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>S and roommate got wooden lofts through the architecture students that advertised on campus. There were several fliers in the dorm room when we arrived. H and I helped the kids bring the wood up to the room (you pay and pick it up in the parking lot). The arch students let the kids know when they would be there to assemble (next morning) and roommate’s parents stayed in the room while our kids attended orientation sessions. Tons of kids were having lofts built and they held up really well.</p>

<p>The kids loved having their beds lofted. They had a futon under one and the tv, fridge and microwave under the other.</p>

<p>If you use the architecture students, you can pay a fee (when you arrange to have the lofts installed) to have them disassemble and remove the loft materials at the end of the year. My son did this this year. The only problem is that they came to disassemble the loft about a week and a half before my son was finished with finals, so his room suddenly became much more crowded (he and his roommate stored a lot of things under their lofts).</p>

<p>That is great news!</p>

<p>So do you think we can just wait until we get there or is there a way to order one? </p>

<p>How much are they?</p>

<p>My husband is really handy and can probably put it together himself. It was just the thought of dragging wood or power tools from NJ that was not working for us!</p>

<p>And if you’re worrying about the lofts shaking, we may have unintentionally found a solution - we bought a wooden bed shelf from Bed Bath and Beyond. My son connected it - not near his head (i.e, in the corner) - but mid-way down the side of the bed, between the bed and the wall - and this prevented any shaking.</p>

<p>And we bought a futon from Ikea in Fort Lauderdale which fit under the loft perfectly (it’s smaller than the normal futon).</p>

<p>SVMom - I found the link last year, I believe, on CC. I’ll check later to see if I still have it, and will let you know either way.</p>

<p>SVMom - we arranged for the loft through campusloftsolutions dot com</p>

<p>The site says its down for maintenance.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the info BruceB28!</p>

<p>Here is loft information directly from the Miami website…</p>

<p>[Personalizing</a> Your Room | University of Miami](<a href=“http://www6.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/0,1770,42701-1;42954-3,00.html]Personalizing”>http://www6.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/0,1770,42701-1;42954-3,00.html)</p>

<p>I wanted to let you all know that Miami has a new policy this year.</p>

<p>No lofts are allowed except the horrible metal ones from Bedloft.com. No wood ones are allowed. Period. I called housing and they said if they see a wood loft in a student’s room they will be made to take them down and the student will “get in trouble” (whatever that means). This is not good at all. My daughter is very upset.</p>

<p>I just spoke with housing and they are saying (after much prying on my part) that they changed the policy too late and would not make you take down wood lofts that you put up yourself. But absolutely NO sawing, etc in the rooms! Assembly only by the student/parent would be tolerated, no outside companies except for Bedloft.com. They will basicly look the other way because they did not get the info out to the students in a timely fashion.</p>

<p>My youngest is at a school that only allows the metal lofts. They’re fine and actually take up less space than the bulkier wooden ones. They are also much easier to deal with during move out in May so there are pros and cons to each.</p>

<p>BTW-I just got back from Miami and the campus looked great!</p>