Looking for advice in Merit aid for a top 1% student

“I would target a single school for the competitive merit aid. There is a ton of work involved in getting a top scholarship to a competitive school.”

Though I agree it’s a lot of work, I’d disagree with just targeting a single school. You never know quite what they want, and there’s always an element of randomness in the interview process. In any case the chances are getting to the final stage for all applications is very low. For many of these places that’s where most of the extra work/time comes in (eg only the shortlisted candidates will be invited to interview).

Drop the extreme (unaffordable) reaches and focus that effort and time on the competitive merit schools. I think you should be able to find about 5-7 schools to target with competitive full tuition or better scholarships and chem eng. Quite a few of those may well be (lower ranking) state flagships, whereas the merit at many private schools is often shared more widely (so costs are still $40K or so). Add 2-3 auto merit schools and your local UCs and that’s a reasonable workload.

Hi, I’m here although I don’t know that I have much to add to the fine work my colleagues have done.

OP-- if you cannot afford your EFC at Harvard, do not apply. It’s that simple. By the time you’ve paid for airline tickets (even if you are a great and thrifty shopper which I’m sure you are), whatever modest outside scholarships your D can win will be chewed up by incidental expenses. Of the reach list you posted, Princeton is likely to be the most generous if they believe you have financial need. So if you all need a reach in the mix- I’d vote for Princeton.

If your D has no “this is why I’m majoring in Chemical Engineering” burning passion, I’d encourage her to think broadly about a science OR engineering major, and leave it at that. A college which might offer enough merit to come in under your budget, plus have enough of her sports to keep her happy-- is there an ABET engineering program? Does she even know the difference between what Mechanical Engineers do and what Chemical Engineers do? If not- focus on schools with generous merit aid for profiles like hers, and don’t cut the bologna too thin. My physics major son at MIT lasted about two weeks as a physics major, luckily because he found his “true passion” in one of his other required courses. That could be your D. They just don’t have enough exposure in HS to all the cool things that college teaches to be able to specialize so early- and that’s a good thing.

It’s easy to be cavalier about how much work 25 applications can be when it’s August and everyone is bright eyed and bushy tailed about the hunt for merit. it’s always a different story when it’s late December, your D is up to her eyeballs in schoolwork but there are five more essays which need to be written and edited, and she’s just found out that three of her colleges have scholarship weekends which conflict- so she can only attend one of them, and has to let the big money prize go at two of the others.

It is MUCH more import to choose wisely than to be scattershot. For three reasons- 1- your D will be a burnt out mess by Christmas writing all these essays and trying to remember which college requires three SAT 2’s, one of which has to be either Math 1 or Math 2; which college requires no SAT 2’s, and by the way, she’ll be out of town for a tournament and missing an important test so she’ll have to study on the bus… Yikes. Reason 2- The law of diminishing returns. The later essays tend to be not as sharp, not as focused, and not as personal as the early ones. So unless she’s the tippy top kid by stats for that particular college, count on a wear out factor with each successive application. And Reason 3- She can only attend one college. Do the hard work now figuring out how to meet her educational needs and your financial restrictions. The extra work involved in getting an extra thousand bucks (assuming you can afford one of the other places that have admitted her) for a somewhat lesser educational experience- is it worth it? Likely not.

If this were my D, I’d have her lined up at the GC’s office already to make sure that the colleges which you think are safeties are actually safeties. Look at your HS naviance data- not just who got in, but also who got denied. If there’s a commutable option AND your D is willing to live at home-- bingo. There’s your safety. Which is fantastic. If she’s really not willing to live at home but has only muttered that she might be (to keep things pleasant at home) you need to flesh that out- soon. She would not be the only HS kid in America who believes in “Go along to Get along”, but then comes April and her friends are heading to Montreal and Chicago and Boston and buying extra long sheets-- and she’s wondering what the heck she’s agreed to.

Big hug. She sounds great. But if you can’t afford your EFC at a need only college like Harvard, the age of miracles has passed. Move on.

Yeah, I know pretty much nothing about athletic scholarships. I just know Duluth has a good Chem Eng program and love their hockey players. We were up there for our campus tour right after they won the championship last year and it was nuts.

But, out of state tuition at Duluth is not much more than in state and she would qualify for the highest tier of automatic incoming merit scholarships.

@KevinFromOC
At the University of New Mexico, your daughter would be guaranteed to received the Amigo Scholarship. The scholarship waives the OOS differential, plus give recipients a stipend for books. UNM tuition, fees, room & board would come in around $18. So your $15K plus a student loan would cover her full COA.

But your daughter would be competitive for the Regents–a true full ride. The Regent;s requires a separate application and is the application is due by Dec 1 , but I think your D would be have a good chance for the scholarship. There are 20 Regent’s awarded each year and typically around 200-250 applicants.

If your D makes NMF, she gets an automatic full ride.
https://scholarship.unm.edu/scholarships/non-resident.html

UNM doesn’t have a women’s ice hockey team. They do have a men’s team. And ABQ is home to the NM Ice Wolves, a pro developmental team for players age 16-20.

UNM’s engineering program is ABET accredited and offers a full range of engineering majors (including some that you don’t see everywhere like nuclear engineering, environmental engineering, and construction engineering/management).
Lots of summer internships at the Los Alamos or Sandia National Labs for engineering students. (My D was a physics major at UNM and did particle beam research at LANL.)
https://engineering.unm.edu

UNM has seen a huge increase in the number of CA students attending in the past 5-6 years. Current there are several hundred CA students attending UNM…

“Delaware, Pitt, , some private’s that are not as selective, WPI , RPI ,some distinct possibilities here.”

Pitt yes, but their websites don’t suggest that the others listed offer full tuition or better scholarships.

I think the University of Utah potentially meets all your requirements: chem eng major, D1 women’s hockey, a full OOS tuition scholarship for 4.0/35 ACT and a competitive full ride cohort scholarship (30 per year) that she would be competitive for.

Having 18 hockey scholarships (if the team is fully funded) is a huge number for a 23 member team. The players can split scholarships, and if some also have merit scholarships, it’s likely all 23 on the roster have close to full scholarships. My daughter’s scholarship (not hockey) was like that, with about half being merit money and half athletic. A lot of kids on her team were that way, with merit and athletic covering tuition.

But it is unlikely the team wants to carry 4 goalies, and unlikely anyone wants to be the 4th goalie and get little playing time. A team either needs a goalie or doesn’t.

This is when the Ivies really lose out by not giving scholarships, athletic or merit. I was watching a documentary last night about the best high school quarterbacks. One said he had offers from Ivies, loved the academics, but he would have received no FA. So he chose Kentucky at full ride rather than pay over $70k per year at one of the Ivies. There are just some families who can’t afford to be full pay at Ivies, especially when they have other much cheaper or free options

@KevinFromOC As others have mentioned you’re looking for full tuition awards in most cases as room/board/books these days will easily run 15K. Don’t forget to factor in transportation costs. There are lots of great options in the western states as mentioned above - UNM, U of A, ASU, Texas Tech (I know a couple of kids studying Chem E there who got great merit offers) might come in at budget. There are some big merit awards at Ohio State, Maryland, Michigan, and South Carolina. I believe that NC State’s Park Scholarship is a full ride.

Some privates that offer full tuition scholarships (named awards through separate application) are Wash U St. Louis, Vanderbilt, Case Western. Insanely competitive but a sterling student athlete has as good a chance as anybody (slim).

Best of luck and let us know how it all works out. She sounds like a terrific person.

@KevinFromOC UCs have the “top 9%” guarantee so UCM is the default if you don’t get into your preferred one. Don’t know about hockey availability, but the state of Florida offers the Benacquisto Scholarship. Full rides (tuition + room & board) are available to out of state students in many of the schools, including the flagship UF and Florida State. If you prefer the smaller public LACs, the choices include two 100% honors colleges, New College of Florida in Sarasota and FAU/Wilkes HC in Jupiter.

Somebody please explain to me how OP making 200k/yr is going to afford an in-state UC when full pay COA is approximately 35K a year and he is only willing to spend 15K a year?

Is there some money saved for college that is making up this difference? I’m confused…

OP’s pretax income is probably around $161k if after-tax income is about $120k, according to https://smartasset.com/taxes/income-taxes#Q80ygfMzGE (it appears that most people on these forums greatly overestimate income taxes, which is where the assumption that the OP’s pretax income is $200k comes from).

That income likely leads to no FA at UCs, so whatever list price is (over $30k, depending on campus, which is greater than $15k by more than what the student can reasonably be expected to contribute by federal direct loan plus part time work earnings).

The OP did say that living at home and commuting to UCI would cost about $15k. Since UCI’s in-state tuition is about $15k, that means that the OP (like many parents and other posters on these forums) is pretending that the student’s live-at-home and commuting costs are $0 (since they would be similar to the student in high school and are embedded in the household budget rather than line items that the OP would have to write large checks for). UCI’s NPC assumes that living at home and commuting would actually cost about $9k, but that can vary greatly between students and families.

@socaldad2002
OP said UCI is an option with the daughter living at home. As you pointed out, the other UCs would be too expensive though, even if she received a Regents Scholarship. Californians have been hosed by the UC system IMO.

OP, our kids were NHRP scholars and are ½ Mexican/NA
Our son won national merit. He got into Caltech and many of the schools you are hoping for your daughter.

Not a penny of aid to any of our kids. They (NHRP/HSF) say they don’t look at income for the merit scholarships, not true; we were told after the fact (and filling out loads of paperwork) that their funds are limited and they have to distribute according to need first although these were “merit” scholarships.

Then middle daughter was told, by email, to apply and confirm her units at the UC registrar, because they (HSF) had “leftover” undistributed funding. She applied again, submitted and faxed her transcript. Turns out they were distributing $100. She didn’t get that either!
Don’t bank on those scholarships. If you make any kind of income in CA, your chances for those competitive scholarships are nil.

CSM is well worth a shot if they still give Harvey scholars awards out as a 50/50 gender split, way less girls in the mix and OP has the stats. As long as she is aware of the demographics/niche nature/lack of options for alternate major. Free and very easy application IIRC.

Deleted

No.

Merit is applied FIRST…

In your case, you need to find BIG merit…nearly FULL TUITION merit, so that net cost is your targeted $15k per year (or maybe $17k per year if student can work over summers and contribute $2k)

Your match schools may be “match” for admittance, but aren’t “match” for that targeted near-full tuition merit that you need. Those schools don’t simply award for stats. They’re awarding merit to students that they specifically need or are trying to poach from Ivy schools or MIT or Stanford.

Not sure why you have UCLA and UCSD as “safe”. They’re not safe for anyone. And unless she could commute to them, your net cost could be more than $15k per year.
A Safety school needs to be both affordable and one that would FOR SURE accept her. You could end up being full pay at both UCLA and UCSD…about $33k per year.

FYI ~ you’re using an acronym incorrectly. Above you’re saying COA would be $30k. What you need to say is that your OOP (out of pocket) would be $30k.
COA refers to the school’s published Cost of Attendance…it’s not necessarily the amount that you would pay.

Lastly, my younger son who also had very high stats was Chemical Engineering at University of Alabama. His merit awards were free tuition plus $4500 per year. So our net costs were just his dorm. Alabama has amazing and new state of the art STEM facilities. Over 1 million square feet of new STEM academic space. Gorgeous campus…actually, a drop-dead gorgeous campus. Impeccably maintained. Senator Shelby spearheaded the new STEM facilities as his goal was for UA to have what MIT has.

@KevinFromOC - another option (which definitely isn’t for every kid) is ROTC. These scholarships will cover full cost of tuition plus some other things. However, there is also a commitment of military service after graduation. ChemE would be a highly desirable degree in this case. In the case of Navy ROTC, you can use it at any campus with a program (which includes tippy top schools on your list). However, the application process is lengthy, and she would need to get started immediately. I realize that it is not an option that many kids will be interested in, but it is definitely one option to address your challenge.
I’ll also reiterate what others have said about the length of time for applications, and not going too crazy with the number of schools. We had started by thinking of applying to 10-15 to maximize options, and that has slowly shrunk to about 8-9. Honors college applications are additional, so even with his initial applications, my DS20 is working on more essays for those.

Glad to see Ohio State is on her list. Make sure she applies for the Eminence (full COA) and the Morrill (various awards, with the top one being full COA). Both require an extra application with an early deadline, plus an on campus interview weekend (if invited). My DS accepted an Eminence scholarship at OSU and is having a great experience.

OSU also has some scholarships that are competitive but do not require a separate application - but these will not get your OOS cost down to $15K.

I agree with others that 25-30 applications is way too many. My kids applied to about 12 schools each, and it was a TON of work, especially as they were applying for many of these big scholarships which require extra essays. One thing we didn’t realize before the process started: we thought after the January RD deadlines, we would just sit back and let the offers roll in. But in reality, in Jan/Feb both my kids started getting invited to apply for “invitation only” scholarships which required additional applications (they were both
high stats kids like your D). For example, the Notre Dame invitation-only scholarship required a video and 3 extra essays, plus an interview weekend if you were subsequently selected for the next step of the process. Syracuse’s Coronat scholarship required 4 extra essays plus an interview weekend. My kids (and I) were fried at the end of this process – seriously, I regretted that their Senior year was so stressful.

I think it would be wise to whittle down her list based on where she really has a shot at good $$ awards. Ivies are a huge reach for anyone and, even if she gets in, they are not going to bring the cost down below your EFC. You said “but you never know” about the Ivy+ schools on her list, but it sounds like you DO know that they won’t be affordable.

Best of luck to your D, who sounds amazing. I hope she has a great outcome. Keep us posted!

@KevinFromOC Does your daughter WANT to play hockey in college? Even if it is at the club or even intramural level? For my son, not having either available was not a deal-breaker but it was a strong consideration factor. Linking ice hockey and chemical engineering brings the list WAY down.

My son was dead set on chem eng and via the DIII schools who reached out to him (none had engineering), he immediately rejected any school without chem eng., which was all of them. One school had general engineering - nope.

So, what is her order of requirements? Would a chem and engineering major be ok? What about a 3/2 program, starting at a liberal arts school? My son rejected these options flat out, but our financial constraints are better. I am not suggesting that she ‘settle’ on her major. That is paramount, I think. But there are different ways to get to an engineering career. My thought is that there are likely several LACs whose women’s hockey program is building who would love your daughter. The teams who were interested in my just okay hockey-player son were all like that. He wouldn’t even talk to them.
I know she has been through the ringer in terms of the D1 recruitment process. And the NESCAC schools won’t give you enough aid. And there aren’t exactly 1,000 women’s college hockey teams out there. So how important is hockey to her? And how solid is she on chem engineering? Since there is no wiggle room in the $, maybe wiggling on chem eng would help? And NOT suggesting you push hard on that. My son would commute to the so-so state school 8 miles away before he would change majors. Of course, 10 minutes after college starts he may change majors, but right now he is fixated on chem eng. Your daughter may be the same, and that is fine but it funnels the options way down.

Because you went thru the D1 process and your daughter is at a prep school, likely adept at helping kids with sports recruiting, you are probably familiar with the not long list of women’s hockey programs. You can cross reference it against the asee.org site for chem engineering. Would not be surprised if zero overlap. But lots of overlap with chem majors and 3/2 programs.

I am guessing that your order of must-have’s is $, major, hockey. But her not leveraging hockey, especially if she wants to keep playing, feels wrong to me. I can’t believe there aren’t a few women’s coaches at d3 programs praying that some goalies email them soon. As they say, you build a hockey team from the net out.

Agree with above. Most of these schools will still be too much after merit. Look at WVU, Arizona schools, Alabama schoools, maybe U South Florida or U Central Florida. WVU posts a matrix listing scholarships by stats. WVU is ABET accredited. Good luck

@KevinFromOC

One very important factor for the larger merit awards…many colleges have an early admissions application, and scholarship application deadline for these significant and generous merit awards. Some of these deadlines are actually in November. So…if this student plans to apply for these types of awards, they need to check the deadlines TODAY and get started on the applications.

These places do not bend on these deadlines. They don’t need to. They have plenty of applicants.

Some of the more generous places have doozie scholarship application awards. One of my kids applied to University of South Carolina. Their scholarship application was far and away the most comprehensive one we saw. It had multiple essays, and a lot of questions to answer with detailed responses. We actually let our kid stay home from school one day to do the completion of it. It did pay off as she got a nice award from them (she attended elsewhere)…but it was a ton of work.

I can’t imagine doing this type of scholarship application work AND 25 college applications.