Looking for advice in Merit aid for a top 1% student

Will she be able to go to interviews during hockey season?

@thumper1.
Yes, of course, the child not parent. I don’t have an issue with the database one though. Name, address, etc.
As far as applications my son tended to cut/ paste from one to the next to do like 4 at a time. There were some that were just like that. Some essays were almost identical except for the names of the schools (check those).
The parents should just recheck the applications before hitting send. We caught a few mistakes here and there.

Completely agree, @Knowsstuff - the parent should review the application that the student completes before it is sent.

Or…the school counselor at this boarding school can review.

@KevinFromOC…Georgia Tech had a 16% acceptance rate for OOS students for the fall of 2019. This means that the school is a reach. Your daughter is possibly looking for the Stamps Scholarship ? at GT…this makes the school even reachier than a reach. I would consider it to be a hyper-reach, on the order of a Jefferson Scholars etc. She should choose these apps wisely…they will be time consuming and it is important to put in the necessary time.

How much work is she willing/able to do, given her busy senior year?

@KevinFromOC

You have a great daughter. She has done well, and there certainly are colleges that are affordable where she will be successful.

But honestly! My opinion is she needs to own more of this process.

@Knowsstuff Hey, I’m sure if I was allowed to take the ACT twice and sum the scores together I’d get a 36! Ok, maybe I’d have to take it 3 times…

So let me pull this thread a little more… Do colleges require that only the student fills out the application alone with no one else entering so much as a single character into the app on behalf of the student? I really don’t know - this is the first I’ve heard about this being an issue. What about when it comes to entering credit card information at the end to pay the fee?

I also ask on behalf of my blind daughter - I doubt all college applications would be accessible to her to fill out, and she would almost certainly require someone else’s help to fill it out.

I can see where it would be dishonest if the college explicitly states that the student must fill out the application by themselves in its entirety, but I haven’t seen that anywhere (granted, I haven’t looked for it). Again, asking out of ignorance…

Ahhh, that nagging concern that’s been in the back of my mind for a month now…
She’s the starting goalie and the only other goalie is a new freshman. Her team has been ranked in the top 5 for the majority of the last 2 season, including hitting #1 for several months. If she has to miss a big game against another powerhouse or, God forbid, the playoffs, then I don’t know what we’d do. To use my daughter’s favorite expression, I guess we’ll burn that bridge when we come to it.

You will cross that bridge, not burn it, right?

And didn’t your son do his own applications? And to be honest I’d have a lot of respect for a Blind applicant using their own resources to complete their own application independently. They will have to
Be relatively independent in. college. . Of course using technical assistance. Not their parents.

I’m in the camp that a student needs to own the application process, including completing the common app. The student needs to sign the last page of the common app that everything is true and their own work. (FWIW, I think assisting your blind daughter in completing the CA is totally different but you should be acting as the secretary, typing with her sitting next to you, not filling it in on your own).

If you think your daughter is busy now, her work load as an engineer is going to sky rocket in college. Time management, setting priorities, etc… are crucial skills.

Hopefully your D will have some leeway in scheduling her scholarship interviews.

Is your older daughter applying to colleges right now as well?

Assisting her is fine. This means reading the questions with her sitting right next to you, and typing in her responses. I assume she has accommodations in school.

In the common app (I think that’s where it was), system asks for all of the degrees of both parents. Instead of my listing them for my son (both parents have BS, MS and PhD), I took the keyboard and knocked the list out in 90 seconds. I had the Exact information, he did not. Was I supposed to sit next to him, have him read the input line, my tell him the words, rinse, repeat five more times? Or just do the logical thing and type the items in because both of us have better uses for that time? I think our kids have done PLENTY of things, on their own, to earn a college admission. The mundane busy work parts of an online application fits on the head of a pin compared to everything else they sweated and sacrificed for during their HS years.

Oh please. Parents filling out mundane busy work parts of the application and helping a busy kid keep track of deadlines are not big deals.

When my daughter filled out the CA she would scream from the kitchen…”hey mom/dad what year did you graduate” etc. It really wasn’t that big a deal. This piece of the application is not that time consuming for them to do on their own…and if I recall correctly…the information is then filled in on the other apps.

Is this the biggest issue here? No.

OP, I think you are beginning to see the issues with applying to so many schools just from these initial fast and easy ones.

No, she inherited my sarcasm, we’ll burn that bridge when we come to it. Kinda like saying even a blind squirrel is right twice a day. :smile:

So we typed out that type of information after the first application and sent it to my kids so they could copy /paste that information into their apps. Really not a big deal. I honestly don’t have an issue with the database stuff either. But my kids would not let me near their applications till I got to proofread it before they hit sent. Yes, there were mistakes after they went over it and checked.
(this whole conversation seems like dekavue

OP isn’t just completing “mundane parts” of the app. He’s completing and submitting the main application.

The reason he gave for applying to college for his daughter, which is what he’s doing, is so she could gain time to work on the supplemental and scholarship essays. That’s not the way the applications were designed to be used. In order to even get to those “mundane parts” OP would have had to create an ID for his daughter first. And the log on credentials are supposed to be private. Some colleges even state that students aren’t supposed to share them with anyone and require the student to acknowledge in writing that they won’t. They’re pretty clear that “anyone” includes parents.

His older daughter’s application process is a separate issue. OP must know, at this point, that the disabled receive accommodations that are unavailable to non-disabled. The oldest child is eligible for accommodations, including having items read and a scribe for writing, which the younger daughter is ineligible to receive. In my opinion, using accommodations designed for the disabled so the younger daughter can gain an advantage (extra time to focus on essays and scholarship apps) is unethical.

@cypresspat

We just wrote out the degrees we each had. It’s not like our kids didn’t know that we both had bachelors degrees and one had a masters. Our kids were then able to enter the info. No common ap…they completed separate college applications…and somehow managed to get it all done.

You know folks…many many HS seniors are busy…and they manage to own and manage their college application process…and that doesn’t mean the parents ignore them. Keep a calendar of deadlines! Proofread essays. Check the application for spelling and punctuation errors. Even give suggestions of school websites to look at. Take your kid to visit schools. Discuss their interests. So many ways parents can and do help with application process, without actually filling out applications or even parts of applications.