Looking for college search help after Tisch NYU Rejection

Hispanic Male in a medium-small town in New York, family income slightly under 200k. Interested in HANDS-ON Film Production (Not film studies). Looking to make connections! 4 year private, preferably east coast US but anywhere in the US works.

Stats:

(100 scale) 88.06 UW GPA, 89.6 W GPA, 1200 SAT super score, 4 AP Classes by the time high school is over (no AP classes offered in 9th grade) all AP’s are at a B- since they were some of the hardest ones (AP World history, AP Physics 1 and 2, AP US History)

Classes:

Several regents and honors courses for math and science, Spanish 1-5, took creative writing, photography, and film studies. Some regular classes and electives sprinkled in obviously, but those are the highlights of what I’ve done.

EC’s:

Editor for filmmaker club in 9th and 12th grade, made an edit that was featured on 3 entertainment news sites, made a track short film I made for up and coming runners for our introduction to the seasons, and I have a whole list of edits I’ve made over the years but no established short films except for a short film excerpt I plan to make with a script I have fully written sometime next week, top 3 sprinter on my indoor and outdoor track and field team, 25 minute 5k for cross country that I did in 9th and 11-12th grade (COVID), paid internship at a ticketing company, personal time I’m making a fan comic in collaboration with another artist, collaborated and made a mixed a song with someone, I edit songs to go with edits, and do a lot of personal writing. Just recently became treasurer to a mental health wellness organization in my community. I like to cook and bake at home as a hobby. It has been very difficult to find many opportunities in my community to help me create short films and my parents haven’t put me in any programs to build my portfolio either. I live in a very STEM-oriented school, so it is very competitive in that aspect but it’s incredibly difficult to find like-minded people who are interested in film when it’s such a minority.

Awards:

None except a Bronze in a 4x200m race at a random track meet

High Honor Roll since 9th grade

Current List:

NYU (Rejected)

USC (Applied)

Syracuse

SVA NY

Temple

Currently looking into:

California Baptist University - Big enough film program and seems to be the best fit. Praised by students and genuinely seems like a solid school minus the religious life

The New School - Seems similar to SVA (being closest to me)

California Institute of the Arts (CalArts) - For the best connections

Emerson College - For the best program

Savannah College of Art and Design
DePaul University
Pratt Institute

3 Likes

VCU Arts

You could study film production in either the film/photography BFA program or the cinema BA program.

1 Like

Is there a reason why there aren’t any New York publics on your list? I’m thinking SUNY Purchase, SUNY Oswego, CUNY Brooklyn College, or CUNY City College?

Looking at privates, have you considered:

• Drexel (PA )
  • Ithaca (NY)
  • Marymount Manhattan (NY)
  • Pace (NY)
  • Point Park (PA )
  • Pratt (NY)
  • Rider (NJ)
  • U. of the Arts (PA )
  • U. of Miami (FL) for another reach school

In reading through various posts on the forum, some schools which might be considered commuter schools for the general population, are not considered commuter schools for the arts portion of the program.

4 Likes

My three children are actors and have been in many a student film in Florida and GA.

Ones we have had good experiences that are private:

SCAD
U Miami
U of Tampa

There are some amazing public ones too but not requested so not going to mention those here.

1 Like

I was going to recommend DePaul. Very good program maybe not as well known
and SCAD which is more well known

1 Like

Here’s my S21’s list for film schools in no particular order.

Emerson-favorite but not enough merit.
Syracuse-did a summer camp there
Drexel
UNCSA-great facilities
SCAD
DePaul
Columbia Chicago
Penn State-Bellisario school is very good
Pitt-new program but well connected and Pittsburgh has a decent film presence.
FSU-ended up there for Digital Media and probably a 2nd major. Works with the film school kids. A lot.

We thought he’d choose between DePaul and SCAD Atlanta. Had great offers from both. Both have fantastic facilities. Atlanta is Hollywood east. Had a great offer at FSU but not film school. Still chose FSU.

Didn’t apply to Ithaca (too small and rural) or Temple (safety concerns). No NYU either. Too expensive.

Point Park, Pratt and Tampa could be decent options. Did a summer camp at Point Park. Looked at Pratt. He has film friends at Tampa.

My fear is that you’ve missed some deadlines. Also, the school you attend doesn’t really matter for film. All that matters is your portfolio and experience. The best thing you can do is work on a set and learn.

FSU is without a doubt the best film school my children have had the opportunity to film with. The students and the experience for the young actors rivals professional sets. The look of the building with all of the successfully movie posters created by FSU alumni is simply motivating. SCAD Atlanta and SCAD Savannah are both superb but I completely understand why choosing FSU may have been appealing to your child last year. Woah!

1 Like

Many good suggestions so far, but you need to get on these apps ASAP.

Adding Marist, ASU, Loyola New Orleans, Columbia Chicago, Suffolk, Boulder, Champlain, RIT, Denver.

What is your budget for college? Make sure to run each school’s net price calculator if you are applying for financial aid, which wasn’t clear from your post.

Good luck.

I agree with a previous poster: you need SUNYs in your application mix! I would look at Purchase, New Paltz, and Buffalo.

1 Like

I know you’d prefer east coast, but how about LMU outside LA?

Have you considered Chapman?

1 Like

Chapman and LMU for film production are both high reaches for this applicant (and most applicants), especially in the RD round. Dodge’s Film Production major at Chapman has around a 7% acceptance rate.

1 Like

Thanks for the responses. Here’s my final list based on extensive research and filtering ranked:

University of Miami (Hard Target) - ED2
University of Southern California (Reach)
Loyola Marymount University (Target)
Temple (Safety)
California Baptist University (Safety) [Accepted]
Syracuse University (Safety)
School of Visual Arts (Safety) [Accepted]
Savannah College of Art and Design (Safety) [Accepted]

Would’ve applied to Chapman but the deadline had passed when I wanted to apply

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.