Looking for colleges with Equine/Equestrian Majors for my D24 [AK resident, 4.0, 33, 1380, <$40k]

Rather than going too far down the rabbit hole (though I did explore it a little as evidenced by my suggestions below), I guess there are a couple of things:

1. Does your D really want the equine major, or does something else animal-related work?
  2. If your D gets to continue riding horses for a team, is she open to a general business or communications or science major and then selecting coursework and/or internships to focus in on horses?
  3. Are varsity equestrian teams an option, or only IHSA?

Based on the responses and the reactions to the schools below, I’ll tailor my rabbit hole meanderings in the future.

In the other thread (my post quoted below) I mentioned these schools, though based on the additional info here, only Otterbein of these suggestions would meet the size preferences:

These are some schools with an active IHSA team and some kind of an animal-related major:

• Berry (GA): About 2200 undergrads. It has an active IHSA team and a major in Animal Sciences. It has a working farm and an equine center, too.

• Long Island-Post Campus (NY): About 11k undergrads. It has an active IHSA team and offers a major in Veterinary Technology. Although I think there’s a good-sized commuter population, I think that there is also a decent-sized residential population, too.

Schools with an active IHSA team, but no equestrian-related major:

• U. of South Carolina: About 27k undergrads (don’t know if that’s big enough for their own fire department!). It has a very highly-regarded honors college.

Schools with varsity women’s equestrian teams, but no active IHSA team include:

4 Likes