Looking for help with a long distance apartment search

<p>So, I start school in the spring, and won’t be living on campus. Which means I need to try and find an apartment without actually being able to go to Tuscaloosa. (I don’t get out of the military until December and am stationed in the mid-atlantic region.) I’m hoping CC can help by either offering suggestions on places they/their children have had positive experiences, or if I’m lucky, know someone who is looking to sublet this spring. </p>

<p>I was looking at student apartments with leases per bedroom and fully furnished common areas (though I do have a full apartment worth of furniture) and at least some utilities included for somewhere south of $600/month (per room.) I almost signed a lease with The Avenue, before I realized how far south it was from campus. I’d like to stay within 2 miles or so of campus in any direction. </p>

<p>If anyone has any suggestions/positive experiences in that price range please post here.</p>

<p>i am sure you will be able to find a sublet. i don’t know of any at the moment, though.</p>

<p>are you an older student? there might be dorm space available in jan.</p>

<p>First off, thank you so much for your service, cleonard. I hope you have a wonderful college experience.</p>

<p>Many students do a spring summer abroad, so I would put a posting on Craigslist that you’re looking for a sublet. You may find something that way.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>I’m guessing that you want to find a place that will be good for you for the next few years, right? If so, then subletting from someone who’s going to be returning, won’t be a good idea.</p>

<p>Will you have a car and be driving to campus or will you need an apt that has transportation to campus?</p>

<p>There are a number of student apts that have 4 BR, 4Ba and each student has his own lease. Something like that might work for you, but you’d have 3 roommates…each in his own room…would that be ok?</p>

<p>A sublet for a few months would allow him to move to town and then get a better feel for the area and what apartment he’d like long term.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>I realize that, but he’s got an apt full of furniture. That would be a hassle to move in/out/in over a period of a few months. </p>

<p>I think if he gets a good rec from the people here who know the apts, he should feel confident that he’ll like the place that a consensus here suggests.</p>

<p>He should contact:</p>

<p>East Edge (what’s their monthly price?)
The Retreat (a room in a 5 bedroom is about $550 or so)
The Lofts
Crimson Sterling</p>

<p>^^^yes, perhaps that sublet idea could still work for you. You could sell some unwanted items and put the rest into storage in Tuscaloosa, for approximately $100 per month for a climate controlled space 5x15, less $ for a smaller space. This would fit a long sofa, table and chairs, racks filled with boxes and books, clothes, storage bins of kitchen items, and plenty more. i like the long configuration of storage rooms best. You can stack tightly and go all the way to the ceiling with items. Put what you will need access to in the front of the storage room and arrange for 24 hour a day access, and you will be set.
This could give you the opportunity to sublet, I saw some desperate students practically giving away their rooms on Craigslist last year. Free months, free summer, just to make some money back off their leases.
This would give you ample time to shop around for the best apartment for you. There are new apartments being finished as we speak. Some of the complexes provide shuttle service to campus. If you want to make do without a car, you will need a shuttle service, or be within walking distance. Everyone is different when it comes to walking…I have a student who thinks nothing of walking a few miles just to get a cup of coffee, so distance from campus is relative. Just remember you will be walking that distance most days and in the wind and rain. Of course, you always have the option to bike to and around campus. Just apply for your bike registration if you want to park/leave your bike on campus. Registration is free.</p>

<p>I’m more or less looking to do what 2012mom said. I don’t know a single soul in Tuscaloosa. So idnlike to get down there get started make some friends and learn the area then figure out my situation for next year. </p>

<p>I’d like to live within 2 mikes of campus. I have a car but don’t intend to drive to class to cut down on fuel use. </p>

<p>I really like the lofts but can’t find any rates for them. I thought I liked the retreat but I’ve read really bad reviews so I don’t know. </p>

<p>I’m leaning towards a sublet or lease in an apartment with 3+ bedrooms so I have roommates. </p>

<p>I keep checking the off campus housing website for sublets but being so early in the year there hasn’t been anything that’s piqued my interest yet. </p>

<p>And as mom2collegekids said, I’m really hoping for good recs from here for the bulk of my search. Being older (mid 20s) I’m pickier about the quality of my living arrangement than most college students. So I’m hoping the parents here can help guide me. </p>

<p>Sorry for spelling and grammar errors, posting from my phones browser.</p>

<p>What bad reviews have you heard about The Retreat? My son was there for 2 years. That said, there are some newer places that are closer to campus.</p>

<p>How do you plan on getting to school? campus transportation?</p>

<p>i would avoid a sublet unless you have friends/family who can help you move from sublet place to permanent place. If it’s just you (or only you for the first move), then having to move again would be a huge hassle.</p>

<p>I’ve heard reviews that the staff is immature and most people move in to dirty rooms and are then charged for steam cleaning and painting when they move out even if the room is immaculate. </p>

<p>Campus transportation shuttles or walking if I can get close enough. Also j plan on maintaining a military fitness level and will rent a locker in the rec center. I can run to famous work out showerr change go to class bike or tow then run home. </p>

<p>My parents live in Atlanta and will be available to help me move when needed. I will be keeping my furniture at their house if i can manage to find a furnished place for my first semester.</p>

<p>Thank you for your service. I don’t have much to add beyond what everyone else has already said, and we don’t yet have personal experience with off-campus living in Tuscaloosa. I would look at the UA housing site and focus on the properties which offer shuttle service.</p>

<p>Good luck to you!</p>

<p>Yes, Thank you for your service.</p>

<p>If your parents live in Atlanta and you can store stuff there, that will be a cost savings to you. That will also make the option of a sublet easier.</p>

<p>There are some really nice apartments close to campus with shuttle service but remember newer equals more expensive. If you are a little adventurous, you might consider renting a house with some roommates.</p>

<p>I think East Edge might be your best bet. Check out the link with rates and floor plans. It is close enough to campus to walk or bike. The Crimson Ride stopped there last year, so I’m guessing it still does. There is an on site gym, but you could also run to the Rec.</p>

<p>Scroll down on this link to find which floor plan/rate suits your needs and budget:</p>

<p><a href=“East Edge Apts | Apartments For Rent In Tuscaloosa, AL”>East Edge Apts | Apartments For Rent In Tuscaloosa, AL;

<p>You may also want to consider becoming a CA or Senior CA to cut your costs. Here is a link:</p>

<p>[Join</a> Our Team](<a href=“East Edge Apts | Apartments For Rent In Tuscaloosa, AL”>East Edge Apts | Apartments For Rent In Tuscaloosa, AL)</p>

<p>If you want a to sublease, check CL for listings. I know they have also allowed short term leases in the past, so you might consider that if you think you may find a better location for your needs.</p>

<p>EE offers studio, large studio, one bedroom, 2 person, 3 person, and 4 person suites. Just scroll on the link for rates.</p>

<p>Ammenities:</p>

<p>[Features</a> & Amenities :: East Edge](<a href=“East Edge Apts | Apartments For Rent In Tuscaloosa, AL”>East Edge Apts | Apartments For Rent In Tuscaloosa, AL)</p>

<p>Best of luck to you, and we all appreciate your service. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>What I’m getting from a lot of people is that the closer it gets to the end of the fall semester, the juicier the deals will be for finding an apartment for one semester.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Yes. there will be deals to fill up some apts that still have openings starting in the Spring, but don’t think that you have to leave at the end of spring. You can stay.</p>

<p>Hi, my son moved into the Lofts this year. It is brand new and beautiful. It is only 1 1/2 miles from campus and the parking garage is attached so your vechile is covered. The pool and common areas are amazing (it makes me wish I was young again!). My son is in a 4 room apartment. The place comes with kitchen bar stools and den furniture and I pay an extra $25 a month for bedroom furniture, $40 for utility package and rent of $575 for a total of $640. It is a nice place to live. When they finish phase 2 there will be retail stores in front of the buildings with restaurants and stores. The crimson ride makes shuttle service to the campus (not sure of schedule). It is a nice place to live.</p>

<p>I currently live in Crimson Student living (or Sterling Crimson is what it used to be called). I like it a lot so far. There is a shuttle that takes you to campus. They have lots of activities/events: free food at local restaurants, BBQs, Pool Parties, Movie Nights, etc. Buildings 1 and 2 are near the pool/clubhouse so they can be a bit noisier. Building 3 has some apartments that face a dog kennel so there is barking. Buildings 4 and 5 are pretty quiet. I, too, had to apartment hunt long-distance, and this is what was recommended to me.</p>