Looking for large urban "match" and "safety" schools with good financial aid

Note that the math level in economics majors and intermediate economics courses varies across colleges’ economics departments.

My daughter had a 3.9 uw (1 B) and 33 act and Pitt offered $8000. Temple was pretty generous as was Saint Joseph’s (came in the lowest out of 20 applications).

3 Likes

“Private schools with the best need-based aid are typically highly selective and unlikely to be “match” or “safety”.”

I guess I was hoping to find out if there are any less selective schools that will be so generous with need based aid, but it sounds like there are not.

1 Like

There are some generous schools that are not as selective as some of the most popular names, but they’re not big, and most aren’t urban. Is there a minimum size he’d be open to?

1 Like

Arizona’s auto-merit will result in costs of just over $20K for a 4.0 student unless additional departmental scholarships are added.

ASU won’t get there (top non-resident merit puts costs around $32K).

Utah might as an average over 4 years if you get the Presidential award (costs would be around $30K the first year and then just over $10K after getting residency). But that’s getting hard to win for OOS students: needs a 4.0 plus full IB or a strong results in (8-10?) APs. It could be a good fit if you do get the scholarship.

2 Likes

I think he wants a school that’s 10,000 plus… but maybe I could convince him to look at things a little smaller. Thanks for any suggestions.

The math level that you need to have completed in high school? Or that you have to take in college? Thanks for clarifying - I steered very clear of math in college so I have no idea.

Focusing in on urban schools, this is a pretty wide-ranging list, as we know that you have a strong student who wants a large urban school. But beyond that, don’t have much ideas about geographic preferences, religious preferences, etc. Also, make sure you run the Net Price Calculators at the schools to see how how they’re calculating your need. If they asks for your kid’s academic stats, then it will likely include the minimum amount of merit your son could expect to receive.

Schools that I think have a decent shot of hitting your budget include:

• College of Charleston (SC): about 10k undergrads

• CUNY City College (NY): About 12k undergrads, though once your kid’s in off-campus housing, it would be harder to meet budget…New York City

• CUNY Hunter College (NY): About 18k undergrads, and ditto other comments on City College

• Marquette (WI): About 8k undergrads, Milwaukee

• U. of Houston (TX): About 39k undergrads

• U. of Louisville (KY): About 16k undergrads

• U. of Nebraska – Lincoln: About 20k undergrads

• U. of New Mexico: About 16k undergrads, Albuquerque

• U. of the Pacific (CA): 3300 undergrads, Stockton

• U. of Wisconsin – Milwaukee: About 19k undergrads

• West Virginia U.: About 20k undergrads. Morgantown

Other schools that might make budget, or close to it:

• Saint Joseph’s (PA ): About 4200 undergrads

• U. of Denver (CO): About 5900 undergrads

• U. of San Diego (CA): About 5700 undergrads

• U. of South Carolina: About 27k undergrads

• Providence (RI): About 4200 undergrads

Generous privates that aren’t as selective:

• U. of Rochester (NY): About 6500 undergrads

• U. of Richmond (VA): About 3200 undergrads

I didn’t include any schools smaller than 3k, and only included schools below 5k-6kish if they were particularly generous or otherwise seemed to be a good contender.

5 Likes

The math level in college. Economics majors and their upper division courses may require:

1. Low math: no calculus, introductory statistics.
  2. Moderate math: single variable calculus, introductory statistics.
  3. High math: multivariable calculus and/or linear algebra, introductory statistics (may require calculus-based, may recommend more advanced statistics).

Students going on to PhD study in economics should prefer more math, and take additional upper division math and statistics courses like real analysis and probability theory.

2 Likes

Probably the best thing to do is to pick out some urban schools that are less selective for admission and run the NPCs to see what you get for a price. A combination of need and merit-based aid could potentially get you to your number but it is hard to say.

2 Likes

U of Cincinnati

5 Likes

I know many people who got full tuition or close at Temple from oos and in state. Generally it seems that Temple looks for high SAT scores (1470+) but perhaps Covid changed everything (albeit I do know a few people who just received a lot of merit with similar stats)

3 Likes

California residency qualifies you for the Western Undergraduate Exchange, which will cap tuition at 150% of in-state at many public colleges in the western United States. There’s a list here. I know that ASU is a WUE school, as are most/all Cal State schools… Colorado State, CU Denver, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Portland State… Just to name a few that could fit your criteria, though I’m not sure about specific tuition costs.

4 Likes

To reach budget (<20K) at the CUNYs for an OOS student, they should apply to the Macaulay honors program, but it is highly selective.

Also consider Hofstra’s Trustee scholarship which is full tuition.

3 Likes

SMU!! Definitely have generous merit; i don’t know if it would get to budget, but worth investigating I would have thought.

2 Likes

ASU doesn’t offer WUE at its main Tempe campus. More generally WUE is not great for a kid that would get need-based aid in their home state since you would be full pay at WUE rates, typically $30K per year unless it is a super-cheap location and non-flagship school with low tuition.

5 Likes

But note that some of the WUE schools offer WUE only for specific campuses or majors🙁.

3 Likes

U of Louisiana Lafayette.

2 Likes

Agreed. It depends on the school but WUE rates are probably going to be higher than $20K COA. For example my son was offered the WUE scholarship at Oregon State (150% of in state tuition, COA approx $38K) and WUE Plus at UNM (100% of in state tuition, COA approx $28K). Some others may be lower… but I’m guessing $30K+ is an accurate ballpark.

4 Likes

University of Wyoming is WUE and would likely meet this budget. It’s not urban though. I do know a Wyoming grad who spent most of her time there studying abroad in several different places. The study abroad program is particularly well funded there and the student may be able to piece together an international urban experience within budget.

3 Likes