Looking for Need-Aware top CS Schools

@sgopal2 posted this link on another thread:

One has to be naive to think schools do not consider family standing and wealth when thinking about how to shape their classes.
Many “top” schools will be more than happy to accept this applicant.
However, I hate to say this, but schools have a fair idea of which demographic groups will go on to become major donors. Extend this logic to Asians. The shoe will probably not fit at the very top schools or most need blind privates at the top.
Schools that are tuition dependent will be OP’s best bet, particularly thoughtfully looking at composition of the student body. A classic example is Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.
If the OP wants to be serious about this then he should work with a good college counselor that “knows things.”

1 Like

Let’s move on from the OT discussion of home prices.

1 Like

In my view, the only consideration at top schools is whether the applicant’s family is going to be a mega donor or not. Aside from that it really doesn’t matter. I doubt any AO at a T20 school is going to say “Wow! Look at this applicant’s wealth. And I just looked up his house on Zillow and it’s so expensive! Gotta have this kid!”

2 Likes

I would think all schools are need aware. The AOs see on the application whether or not you’ve requested financial aid. If schools were not need aware, why would they need to see this info? Also, big donations and legacy status correlate with lack of need, and they are both given substantial preference at the top schools. Just my 2 cents…

That is not true at the need blind schools. The AOs can’t see if you’ve asked for aid or not.

Substantial preference for big donations as I’ve been saying. Legacy status is a minor hook (and diminishing in value these days).

1 Like

An 8 year old article in the Huffington Post does not make it true.

Regardless, College Confidential is not a debate society (as mentioned in ToS). Let’s move on.

1 Like

How do I close this thread? Sorry, I’m kind of new to CC

You can’t