Looking for recommendations - Virginia/NC area

I’m looking for some recommendations of schools that we should consider or how we should approach the application process. We live in Virginia, and my daughter would prefer schools that are in the mid-Atlantic or southeast part of the country, though she will consider other areas as well. We have somewhat unusual circumstances in that I am divorced, and my ex will not assist in filling out the CSS or in contributing to college, which limits financial aid options. On the other hand, my daughter got a 35 on the ACT, so maybe we have a shot at merit scholarships. She has taken all the AP/dual enrollment classes she can. She had straight As until last year, when classes were remote and kind of erratic because of Covid, and she ended up with a B and a C in two of her classes. I think her GPA is around 4.4 weighted and 3.8 or 3.9 unweighted.

Her only requirement is that the school have a strong science program, well-equipped labs, preferably some research opportunities. She is not interested in a party school or sororities or anything like that. I want her to go to a school where freshmen get actual professors instead of grad students and small classes instead of giant lecture halls or, worse, online classes because there’s no room in the real classes (looking at you, Va Tech…).

I can afford UVa tuition, but would need assistance for private or OOS schools. The smaller private schools in VA that I have looked at either seem weak on science or would want my ex’s financial info or both.

I would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks for the help.

1 Like

How is William & Mary looking on sciences? I have a millennial relative who went there and works for NOAA last I heard.

2 Likes

I made her add it to the list. She seems to think W&M focuses on humanities rather than sciences, though I think she may be relying on reports from friends who went there rather than looking into it herself.

2 Likes

Apply to UVA, William & Mary, Virginia Tech . Maybe throw in JMU. Especially since your ex will not be contributing or filling out forms. Or chase merit outside of Virginia.

2 Likes

I think you have two chains going - responded on another.

UVA requires the CSS Profile for consideration for need based aid.

1 Like

Sorry. Yes, I know. One of my kids went there! I was just more responding to her saying she could afford UVA instate tuition without the help of her ex husband. So, focusing on either instate options or looking for merit could be her best bet.

1 Like

This poster might benefit from reading the thread @KevinFromOC started. I posted that link on her other thread.

1 Like

I do, sorry. I decided my question was more general than just the financial aid. I’ll check the other post, thanks!

Did UVA grant a non-custodial parent waiver for the older student?

1 Like

Actually, I think the finances piece is very important. Getting merit aid to bring down your annual college costs is the way for you to go, in my opinion. This does not take into account anyone’s income or assets.

Here is the link.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/t/looking-for-advice-in-merit-aid-for-a-top-1-student/

1 Like

My EFC was well over what school tuition cost a year. But I was still staring down the barrel of $40K a semester at W&L. And it’s frightening. $33K at American and $25K a semester at U of Miami - also frightening.

I just stroked a $3500 check for the first semester. Yes, College of Charleston doesn’t have the pedigree - but people act like paying $50 or $75K a year is - well, what we have to do.

If you find schools where your student as a higher profile than the school itself, you too can go for cheap!!!

4 Likes

Agnes Scott in Decatur, GA.

1 Like

Georgetown

1 Like

@Maggie993 Seconding @Mwfan1921 's question about looking into the non-custodial parent waiver.

I’m also divorced, and while we did not need a waiver, I did see mention of the process to get one if needed. I empathize with your position and hope this is an option so you can expand your list of possibilities.

That said, UVA in state is a great option, if your D sees it as a fit. My D was accepted OOS but without aid (need based or Jefferson) the $70k price tag ruled it out for us. She’ll be down the road at W&L (on merit). She felt very drawn to VA colleges so she would consider your D very lucky with those instate options. But the grass is always greener… she wanted to go OOS from GA!

(Edited to tag the correct OP!)

2 Likes

I am not divorced so it was nothing I needed. We were instate, full pay .

I’m sorry. I tagged the wrong person. :grinning:

1 Like

Look at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville – strong sciences, and your daughter’s 35 ACT/GPA would likely result in merit money, here, Volunteer Scholarship - One Stop Student Services, here, Tennessee Explore Scholarship Program - One Stop Student Services, here, Chancellor's Scholarships - One Stop Student Services, and here, Apply as an Incoming First-Year Student | Honors & Scholars Programs. She would probably qualify for honors classes/programs, here, Become an Honors Vol | Honors & Scholars Programs, and so likely would have smaller classes. Lots of research opportunities available on campus, as well as with Oak Ridge National Laboratories nearby.

Also, the University of Alabama in Huntsville has good STEM programs; and your daughter’s test scores/GPA would likely result in a significant merit award there also: UAH - Admission & Aid - Freshman Out-of-State Academic Scholarships

1 Like

How would this family qualify for a non-custodial parent waiver? The non-custodial parent is paying Court ordered child support. Parent reports the other parent hasn’t seen the kid in five years or more. But I don’t think that is sufficient for a non-custodial parent waiver.

Apply and see. Some schools might consider this. Others might not.

4 Likes

Duplicate post…sorry