Looking for target school suggestions [NJ, 4.0, 1370, <$45k/year, biology, chemistry, math]

At Rutgers, the Douglass Residential College could be a way to get both a smaller community within the larger university, and also avail herself of the specific programs within Douglass for women In STEM.

In terms of other targets, if she likes Dickinson, Juniata might be another PA school to look at. (As well as Denison, in Ohio, as already suggested.) Also, several posters have mentioned Wooster, but I think it deserves highlighting as a school that’s particularly noted for STEM and undergraduate research, while also being generous with merit.

3 Likes

Thanks. We’ve visited several parts of Rutgers, but haven’t made it to Douglass yet. While she isn’t inclined to attend a women’s college, she might in this case since it’s part of a larger coed environment.

I’m a big fan of Wooster. My daughter is not a big fan of Ohio.

1 Like

It’s a big state :).

1 Like

She might not be a fan of Ohio, not due to geography but for the same reason she might not be a fan of Indiana, Tennessee, Alabama, South Carolina, Texas, Idaho…

6 Likes

Indeed. I’ve tried to hype up Kenyon, Wooster, Oberlin, Denison, Case Western, but she’s not interested.

That leaves PA, MD, VA, NJ, NYS, New England, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois… Lots of possibilities.
That being said she can keep OH on the backburner just in case.

1 Like

While there is something referred to as “South Jersey” - it really isn’t that much closer to the Carribean. :wink:

For most people in New Jersey, New Paltz does not introduce an unfamiliar “climate”.

(About 30 miles north of NJ’s northernmost Latitude.)

5 Likes

A student interested in biology and chemistry probably should take a look at Wheaton (MA) for its science building (as well as for its strong programs in these areas). I believe the firm that designed this building also designed the science buildings at Union College and Hamilton.

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Right, Wheaton’s Mars Science Center. It does look nice. That’s one we considered early on, but were told that some biochemistry majors had trouble graduating on time due to scheduling difficulties and so eventually transferred out. The University of Scranton has great science building, The Loyola Science Center

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.