Looking to transfer to a UC or CSU

Hello,
I am interested in transferring to either UCSB or SDSU. I currently attend UNR but I wish to return home and attend a community college for the spring semester. Will this hurt my chances to be accepted at these Universities?

If you are a freshman, give the place a chance., Reno will grow on you.

If you are entering your second year and have performed well, you can apply this October. You’ll need a path to 60 units a 3.5+ GPA and the right mix of courses to be competitive at either school. Changing schools mid year this year would probably upset your chances of a smooth transfer.- it will be difficult to reflect your plans in you Oct/Nov application.

If you can attend a CC in Calif for the Fall 15 semester, that will probably give you the best shot. You will be applying from a Cal CC and may be TAG eligible. It will be much easier to reflect on your ap.

For somewhat obvious reasons, those are both very competitive for transfer admission - particularly to those not eligible for their respective TAG programs. Regardless of your GPA, you’ll want a back up plan.

What is your current GPA and unit count?

I am currently in my first semester at UNR, with AP courses I entered with 32 units and I am taking 17 units this semester. This being my first semester and having no grades posted I do not currently have a GPA, I straggly believe I will be able to maintain a 3.5 or above as I am an honors student at the university. As a side note UC tap only recognizes my AP courses as 26 units.

You are about a week into school so, I’d recommend you give Reno a couple of semesters.

No GPA will make it difficult to evaluate your ap -but, apply broadly in October and see what happens. I’d imagine the really competitive campuses like UCSB and SDSU are probably not going to happen - apply anyhow, really you never know - especially with UCs. I’d also appy to UCR, Fullerton and maybe even Sac and Sonoma. If your budget allows, look at USD, LMU and maybe St Mary’s.

If you do this you need to stay for the 15/16 academic year. switching schools or dramatic changes to your planned coursework could cause an acceptance to be pulled next summer, leaving you stuck.

In the meantime, get involved in the campus at UNR - attend events, games, hang out on campus, join a club, etc. The kids I talk to who go really love it.

I agree with @NCalRent and give it a year. So many Freshman start off in the Fall, state that are unhappy, and by the end of the year, they are amazed that everything turned out great and really love the school. Do not make a hasty decision, get involved in the school and you may be presently surprised. If after the year, you still feel the same way, you can look into transferring. Good Luck.