Losing scholarship

<p>So DD’s midterms are not looking so great. She is on the presidential scholarship. How does it work when a scholarship is in jeopardy of being lost or what happens once it is lost?</p>

<p>She has to have a 3.0 average by the end of spring semester. The loss at that point is permanent.</p>

<p>How bad is her situation? Can she drop the class that she won’t likely be able to “bring up” the grade?</p>

<p>Has she spoken with her profs?</p>

<p>How many credits does she have now? You need to “do the math” and calculate if she drops a class, then works on the other classes, what will her GPA be…and then next semester, if she carefully manages a higher number of credits, will her cum GPA be a 3.0?</p>

<p>You also have to look at how many credits each class has. A C in a 5 credit class is harder to “balance”.</p>

<p>I am not an expert, but I believe I remember reading that the continuation of the scholarships (GPA) is determined after completion of a full year, not after each semester. If this is true, she may still have time to bring her GPA up. Don’t panic yet. Get her tutors or whatever else may help. </p>

<p>I have found some of the grading at the college level to be strange to say the least. For example, today my daughter took a two question quiz in one of her engineering classes. She got the second question wrong, resulting in a 50% on the quiz, and thus dropping her grade by 8% points in that class. The kicker for me was that the question had nothing to do with the class, but rather with a popular TV show. The funniest part is that it is my daughters favorite show. Ugggg</p>

<p>It is still early enough to turn around. Encourage her to get tutoring.</p>

<p>Have you seen actual midterm grades posted yet, or is that what she is figuring based returned papers and tests? </p>

<p>Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC</p>

<p>Also…see if Bama is offering any “mini semester” classes this semester. These are 1 credit courses that start around now. Then have her drop a low grade class and add at least one of these classes.</p>

<p>* For example, today my daughter took a two question quiz in one of her engineering classes. She got the second question wrong, resulting in a 50% on the quiz, and thus dropping her grade by 8% points in that class*</p>

<p>Well, your D may need to speak to the prof about that and show how that one irrelevant question had such a negative affect…the prof may not realize that and may decide to drop that quiz.</p>

<p>CBH used to have those odd 2 question quizzes for frosh year. In the end, those grades weren’t included in final grade. Don’t know what CBH is doing now.</p>

<p>She did send an email and without my suggestion. It was very appropriate and I was pleased to see her taking the initiative. It’s amazing the amount of growth that has taken place in 10 short weeks.</p>

<p>CBH continues to have a lot of quizzes with few questions. Thankfully they are on the material rather than a TV show. :-)</p>

<p>I am basing this on 2 posted midterm grades. They are her highest credit course (4 credits each). I am wondering if she ends up less than a 3.0 for this semester can she return on scholarship in Jan? If the GPA required is based on the entire year vs each semester that would be comforting information.</p>

<p>“She has to have a 3.0 average by the end of spring semester. The loss at that point is permanent.”</p>

<p>NO - that is not the case at all.</p>

<p>First, as indicated, they will not even look at her grades for any of this until the end of Spring semester - her scholarship is good for the year and (if you read the following) is also good for Fall semester next year… so breathe for a second.</p>

<p>If she does not have a 3.0 cumulative by the end of the year, she will be put on academic scholarship probation for the next semester. She then needs to either:

1. bring her cumulative GPA up to 3.0 at which time the probation will be lifted - OR -
  2. bring her semester grade to 3.0, which will enable her to continue with her academic probation for another semester.</p>

<p>Her scholarship will be paid during the probationary period, but the following semester’s scholarship will be held until grades are in to determine if she does not bring either semester or cumulative grades up to a 3.0</p>

<p>Of course I’d check to be sure on this, things can always change, but am 99.9% sure this is how it works.</p>

<p>I know the question is really about scholarship retention, but does she know how other kids in classes are doing? We found that many classes don’t curve until the very end so you have to know where you are on curve. For instance if your grade is 78 but one of top scores you may still have A. Be sure she knows exactly how grades are figured and go talk to professors. Maybe she’s not as bad off as she thinks.</p>

<p>It does seem that many of these “scholarship kids” have never really been pushed even by taking AP/IB classes in HS. Some have never had to study much so they are getting used to living on their own and figuring how how much they need to study at the same time. </p>

<p>A friend of mine who’s son attends the other school in the state said many of her son’s friends did not return for their second year after losing their “recruiting” scholarships due to poor grades.</p>

<p>Let’s hope the students (and their parents) who find themselves facing poor grades can figure out a way to get the grades up to where they need to be. It would be awful hard to leave such a great place :)</p>

<p>Don’t panic! DD went through the same scenario first semester her freshman year. She was not on a scholarship (we don’t feel right in taking them) but had taken many AP and DE classes in high school as well as having a 3.9 GPA and had nothing below an A in any on the AP or DE classes. Sometimes it’s just an adjustment…it was for her. After a semester she got it figured out and Spring semester had a 4.0 and has had nothing below a 3.8 since. Hang in there!</p>

<p>It does seem that many of these “scholarship kids” have never really been pushed even by taking AP/IB classes in HS</p>

<p>alternatively, there are many of these kids who placed out of intro classes due to APs meaning starting out with no “easy” classes. For a first-year student dealing with all the normal first time away from home stuff, that is quite a transition.
Thankfully, seems most adjust and though it may not be the ideal situation, they figure out how to make it work.</p>

<p>thanks for that info. is that rather new? In the past, the evaluation was done at the end of spring semester, and that was “it”. There wasn’t always a “probationary period”.</p>

<p>I’m glad for this change because it keeps more scholarship students on campus. </p>

<p>Do you have a link for that policy so that those affected can refer to it?</p>

<p>Also, is she coming in with any grades? Non-AP classes that she took at other colleges like summer programs. They are all included.</p>

<p>Have your daughter talk to an academic counselor and go over the requirements for her scholarship and where she is right now. This is not information that you take from an internet message board because too much rides on it and we can get it wrong, and things can change. She may have to focus on takiing a less strleona helmsleyenous schedule if she is at risk. I advise all of my kids to take very light loads the first year because you just don’t know what curve balls are out there and there is that acclimazation process. With a scholarship in the picture, it’s even more important. I have one kid who did permanently lose his scholarship after sophomore year, ot at "Bama, and that was it. That much more to have to pay. ANd if you don’t have it and shouldn’t be borrowing it, it means transferring.</p>

<p>Duplicate edit</p>

<p>Mom of Four posted this a couple years ago. It’s consistent with what is described above. </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>OP, it’s probably worth an e-mail to the scholarship office to see if anything has changed.</p>

<p>You also want to keep this in mind:
October 31 Last day to drop a course with a grade of “W”</p>

<p>D1 had a class last fall that was giving her conniptions. She knew the material, was doing all the work, but the tests didn’t line up with what was happening in class. This was all mentioned in the Ratemyprofessor page for that particular prof, but the class time worked for her & she picked the class even though she was forewarned. DH & I had a long chat with her about losing a battle but winning the war. Or a strategic retreat if you will. She ended up dropping, got the W, did much better in the other classes she was taking that semester because she wasn’t stressed out. Retook the class with another professor in the Spring & got a solid A. </p>

<p>So that’s an option if it’s only 1 class. But also like scmom mentions upthread, have her check with the prof about where she stands compared to the rest of the class. she may be in better shape than she thinks & it would be a shame to take a W if she’s really in line to get an A or B.</p>