Low GPA [3.64], perfect ACT [36] [for D1 Ivy League track]

In short, I have a relatively low GPA, 3.64 UW/4.4W, due to taking rigorous classes and not doing the best in them. However, I have a perfect ACT, 36. I am close to the standards for running D1 track for Ivy league schools, and according to the AI index, I have a 230 AI score. Since this is higher than the Campus AI’s of all the Ivy League schools (correct me if I’m wrong) , would this make me pass the pre read, even given the low GPA?

Are you a 2024 currently being recruited? Have any coaches evaluated your transcript?

No one here can answer whether you would pass a pre-read at an Ivy League school, but I expect you would pass pre-reads at many schools.

Of course, passing a pre-read doesn’t mean that you will receive a fully support slot from the coach, as they typically send more potential recruits to pre-reads than they can support thru the admissions process.

Make sure to cast a wide net in your recruiting. Good luck.

7 Likes

You’ll probably be just fine on the academics. But as mentioned, the coaches will know and the biggest challenge is probably getting them interested enough to support your application.

Fill out the recruiting forms and follow up with an email to the coach. That’s how you’ll know.

Keep in mind that “close to” whatever standards you’re referencing may or may not lead to coach interest.

Definitely cast a wide net. Good luck.

1 Like

Yep, I’m 2024, but I’m not currently being recruited, because I just ran a time that would qualify me athletically to run for an ivy (9:10 3200), this past week. Before, I was in the 9:30s, and didn’t really reach out to coaches yet because I knew 9:30 wasn’t good enough. So far, no coaches have evaluated my transcript. I will start reaching out to coaches now.

What do you mean by “getting them interested”?

1 Like

I mean having the times that would lead them to want to reply to your email, have some conversations, initiate pre-reads and possibly official visits leading to admissions support.

I’d think 9:10 would get some replies so I’d contact them soon. Follow up in a few weeks if they don’t reply as it’s a busy time for some and others might be on vacation.

Then start looking at other D1 schools you might want to attend as those might be a possibility also.

That’s solid improvement, congrats. Don’t hesitate to keep checking in here if you have other questions or need guidance.

4 Likes

Congrats on the big PR! The Ivy League schools can begin academic pre-reads on July 1 for their 2024 class so you need to be reaching out ASAP. You are a bit behind schedule as many recruits have been building relationships with coaches for months if not years. So get it going now.

Good luck to you on your journey!

1 Like

THis will vary by school. There are facebook groups and such for recruited athletes. You need to be reaching out to interested schools and filling out the “recruit me” questionnaires. You should create a recruitment only social media presence on Twitter and Instagram.

There are a few valid TikTokers who discuss how to be recruited as well.

Your GPA shouldn’t be a problem in the Ivies with that ACT score. At the least, don’t let it stop you from contacting Ivy coaches. As others have said, you should reach out ASAP. The best process is to send an email to each school’s XC/distance coach(s), the head coach and, if there is a designated recruiting coach, them too. My son included his time(s), ACT and UW/W GPA in the subject line (In that order, since the time is the first filter). Also fill out the recruiting questionnaire. And, if your HS coach has any contacts in the Ivy ranks, see if they will reach out, too.

Good luck!

Alright, thank you so much for the advice, I will definitely come back if I have any future questions.

1 Like

Alright, thank you so much Don!

1 Like

Yes, if the coach wants you, your grades and ACT are good enough to pass an academic preread anywhere.

Well, I knew my ACT was basically perfect, but I didn’t know how my “low” GPA would affect how the admissions office viewed the whole GPA/Test scores package in my specific case. Thanks for the reassurance.