Low GPA for MIT

<p>Okay, so I have a pretty low GPA (3.4 UW) for MIT and other selective schools such as USC, UT (non - automatic admit), Columbia, etc. However, I am most likely to graduate with approximately 16 - 17 APs under my belt and I wonder if you guys think that would make me seem equal to someone with a 4.1 or 4.2 weighted. Also, I have taken only 3 regulars classes during high school (Latin 2, Intro to Engineering, and a Independent Study period for Calculus AB) My school does not weight GPAs, so I would really like to see where I may fall.</p>

<p>Wrong forum dude.</p>

<p>This might be a stupid response, but I’m black. Does that make my post anymore relevant to this forum?</p>

<p>Hahaha, I think that the forum with people who are most likely to know the answer to your question (maybe people in the MIT section) is the right forum. Still, I was rejected from MIT with a 3.94 and I’m black (although I did not have your extremely impressive courseload), so I cannot say how you’ll fare…</p>

<p>Even weighted it’s low. I suspect the average weighted MIT GPA is around 4.5. Why 16-17 APs? I think that was over kill. GL</p>

<p>I believe from my readings that there’s a ceiling when it comes to course rigor ratings such that at some point you aren’t going to get any boost for taking harder classes over the other guy. For example, you probably didn’t get any advantage over the dude with 10 (perhaps even as low as 5) APs by taking 17.</p>

<p>So I think you made a bad decision by taking up such a huge courseload, but I wish the best for you.</p>

<p>Thank you guys for your opinions. @sosomenza I didn’t really have much say in the matter. I go to a magnet where 80% of course offerings are AP after sophmore year. I probably would have ended taking at least 14 by the end of high school. In hindsight, I would been better off at another school with seven or eight APs versus the amount above. </p>

<p>@Philotivist I understand that this is a holistic process and I would never be accept over something as arbitrary as a schdule or GPA. Part of this is just a little annoyance on how I work hard for 3.4 - 3.5 at my school when I would be val or at least 3.8 GPA and above it’s not fair.</p>

<p>Well, you gotta work with what you have. You can be that guy that loves a challenge, who is willing to work hard despite challenges, or who loves to learn for the sake of learning. They’re cliches, but grades end up being one factor in a total application that also includes SAT scores, ECs, letters of recommendation, and essays, so work on strengthening those areas and admissions may be more lenient towards the grades. If the profile you create is one of a hard worker, then they’ll like that. Best of luck!</p>

<p>Talk to your counselor and ask about your school’s profile. Specifically ask about the track record for MIT acceptances (how many have applied, how many got in, what were the average grades and SAT scores, etc.). That would give you something to consider. Does your school have a track record of kids getting into MIT with a GPA around that of yours? Does it have any track record with MIT? That does not guarantee anything, but it may answer your thoughts on how the University will view your record and school rigor.
T</p>

<p>Thank you Onmyway2013! It is cliche, but I do think that I may have a chance and if I chance to go to a really great school might as well take it.</p>

<p>We need a lot more context for your GPA to be able to say anything helpful. What’s the highest GPA at your school? What’s your rank? Do you have As in math and science but a smattering of Bs in humanities?</p>

<p>Your transcript is a lot more important (and more informative) than a two digit number. You’ll still certainly be considered with that GPA.</p>