Low rate of students going to grad school?

<p>My 2010 "INSIDER'S GUIDE TO THE COLLEGES" lists the number of Lewis & Clark students who go on to graduate school as 10%. The University of Puget Sound, in contrast, is listed as sending 55% of its graduates to get their advanced degrees. Amherst apparently sends 75%. Hampshire sends 50%. Does anyone have any ideas of why Lewis & Clark's graduate school rate seems so low relative to these other schools?</p>

<p>I haven’t seen the 10% number, though I have seen 20% in an online write-up, and that was for people who go directly to graduate school. Is there a source of the data listed?</p>

<p>Sorry. No source. Just a table in the college’s listing in the 2010 edition of the guide book.</p>

<p>Yo. LC student here. </p>

<p>I don’t think that 20% is right. What I do know is that a lot of people from my campus do go to graduate school, just not immediately. From what I’ve heard, you get real burned out real fast if you try to go right from undergrad to grad school. Most people take a year or two break first to travel the world, join PeaceCorp/AmeriCorp/TeachForAmerica/ that one thing I don’t remember what it’s called where you can travel the world and work and learn how to farm.</p>

<p>Basically, we do stuff and experience the world before we return to acadamia. </p>

<p>Talking to some of the staff in our admissions department, they say the statistic is more that 50%+ go to graduate school within 5 years of graduating. From the number of people I’ve had to put up with this year who have been discussing the merits of location and grad programs and who is better than who, I’d say this is the more accurate statistic.</p>

<p>Thanks, kelmno.</p>