Lower Numbers

<p>As i look on other sites i find that many students are saying they are excepted to Madison with 3.0 GPA's and 21 ACT scores. Is it just that all the overqualified acceptees post on this site, or do these low number surprise you. Many people say they worked the system by bugging admissions enough to the point where they were taken off waiting lists. Should I start to think theres hope for me with a 3.2 gpa and a 23 act?</p>

<p>I think it's cause they just don't strictly go by numbers. I've seen people with your stats (or lower) get in and seen people with a 3.8 and 31 ACT get rejected. All we can do is cross our fingers and continue to wait.</p>

<p>Btw, I have a 3.3 UW GPA and 2030 SAT and have been postponed. Still waiting on a final decision.</p>

<p>just cause people get in with 3.0/21 ACT doesn't mean it's not rare...we all know some people with those stats will get in, so I'm not too sure what the surprise is. As for bugging the admissions office, I would think they would take you OFF the waiting list and out of consideration, not off and into the school. Is there even a wait list yet? I figured it was [mainly] just postponed up until now.</p>

<p>It's slightly surprising to me, but not unexpected.</p>

<p>UW-Madison</a> admissions myths: Some students get special treatment in the admissions process.</p>

<p>I mean, you could be a musical genius, but just not that good in other academic areas and wind up with that 21 ACT. I, personally, would say that warrants being there. I'm certain that particular situation doesn't occur very often, but there are cases.</p>

<p>Last year there was about 1100 or so people that got in with an ACT between 18-23, which is a lot on its own, but not much compared to the 12,000-some accepted students with stats higher than that. =P</p>

<p>I really doubt that bugging the admissions office would work, since it is a demonstration of your character, and obviously not something high in demand.</p>