Loyola Financial Aid 'Bartering'?

I’m a current senior in high school who has been accepted into Loyola U- Chicago, have received a substantial amount in merit scholarships, and am looking to possibly run track for Loyola. I have also applied to their honors college. I love Loyola, but even with the merit scholarship I can’t fathom forking over almost $30,000 for school every year. I have applied to other schools as well and have much more reasonable options, but Loyola is really where I want to end up. I’ve heard and read that some private schools are willing to meet the scholarships of other schools if you contact them. Would Loyola do this? Would it be a waste of my time to write a letter? My dad has Parkinson’s and has a lot of medicine to pay for- could I tell them about that? Also, if they agreed to lower the cost, would it match only the scholarships of other private institutions, or the public ones as well? And would it match the scholarship I have received from another school or the amount left that I have to pay at that school? I can’t seem to find much on questions these specific, but I want to know if I’m beating a dead horse before I go putting a ton of effort into all of this. Any answers or information would be much appreciated.

P.S. I know that no admission counselor likes to think of it as ‘bartering’ or ‘competing’ but I’m only using it for lack of a better word here.

@neurojournal13 - I don’t have firsthand experience with this, but it’s not uncommon for students to go back to financial aid offices asking for some additional funding to meet unmet need. I think your idea to write a letter to the financial aid office explaining your financial situation (family hardship) and your other school options (noting your offers there) is a good one. Include your phone number and invite financial aid to call you to discuss how you can make your dream of going to LUC a reality.

Thank you!

You can certainly ask for a professional review if your financial circumstances have changed @neurojournal13
If you think you have circumstances that couldn’t be reflected on your parents 2015 taxes, then ask about second aid opportunities definitely.