LPS, Local Day School or try again for 10th grade?

My DS was accepted to his good local Day School but rejected or WL for all of his boarding school choices. I’d like to get opinions on: A) whether he’d be better off going to the LPS next year vs private Day School if he wants to apply again to his BS choices which he adores? and also; B) Whether to use a private admission consultant this time instead of having he and I fill up the application data/essays.

He is somewhat crushed (as am I through osmosis) that he didn’t even get one acceptance and only a couple WLs into his top BS choices but is fired up about competing again.

Pls message me privately if you have professional opinions. It is harder for me as a parent btw to deal with day school vs boarding considering I am the sole guardian for background and I would objectively say that he seems more invigorated by the challenge of BS vs day school or LPS.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this one point. He is Dual citizen US/UK and would have the option of either US or UK state school tuition fees which of course would then require the school to help him w his required AP tests should he apply either to UK or US private colleges.

Would he do a year and then Apply out for 9th (reclass)? Probably best chance to get in.

He would be 14 going on 15 when he starts “normal” high school this fall. If he holds back for 9th grade, he’d be 15 going on 16 which is pretty late I think for a high school freshman. He’s not a stud athlete so I don’t think there would be much added value in terms of physical development in starting later. But that’s just me and my thoughts.

1 Like

Have you considered junior boarding schools? Most, if not all, have rolling admission, and a year at a JBS will likely set him up for more success when applying to BS next year.

What is the quality of your lds and lps? which state?

You mean a school that “breaks him” into boarding in a day school setting? Yes his day school offers boarding also. About 10% of the school boards overseas students 7 days (and he is local). But I’m wondering is the expense allocation for that year the edge for him when he applies vs just doing well in the local LPS. This is the quandary since I’m not rolling in a Ben Franklin filled bed.

All of his BS I applied with financial aid requested but did not request FA for his day school application. Funny, eh?

I’d objectively say based upon Niche and college admissions placement (not looking only at Top 20 Unies) that both are good. The LPS is top 10% in his State according to Niche and his Day School is ranked top 70 nationally again according to Niche. I’m in the North East is all I’ll disclose on location.

Great thought.

@doublebubbletrouble here is a link to the JBS association. What they offer might be a little different than the school you personally have experience with? I’m not sure, as I can’t tell by the description of your child’s current school.

Junior Boarding School Association {jbsa.org} Independent Elementary Middle Schools - Jbsa.

2 Likes

Go with the day school if you can afford it.
They tend to be very good.
Different vibe.
Different social scene – some parent networking as well.
Good college outcomes.

1 Like

Sorry, I should have prefaced and been a bit more specific. I personally went to a good day school so I know what to expect from the day school experience but now I’m trying to compare whether its better for DS to do LDS for freshman year and then reapply for boarding school 10th school or LPS and reapply. Agree that LDS in general has better parent support though their support/experiences is quite localized.

1 Like

What are your goals? What does “better” mean?

1 Like

Would the LPS be a continuation for him, or would that be a “new” community?
My thinking is that if you are definitely planning to reapply for next year, I would probably NOT change communities. So personally I might continue at the LPS system and then reapply. Starting at a whole new private day school means going in with one foot out the door, and it’s hard to get to know new people and a whole new culture when you are starting your applications to leave. Also purely practical matter: one less year of tuition at PDS means more tuition money available for 3 years of BS.

1 Like

On the other hand, if he likes the lds, you don’t have to change

2 Likes

Totally true, for both LDS and LPS.
But it’s hard to give something a true try when you are starting to gather recommendations and write essays a few weeks into the school year.
so that’s why I say: if you are planning to apply to BS for next year, then I would probably not do a new LDS, assuming there is some familiarity with the LPS system already.

What if next year is unsuccessful? At that time lds may not be an option again. Is 4 years of lps acceptable?

Not sure if I am reading this correctly or not–are you saying that your son lives in the US now but will be able to pay home fees to a UK university instead of overseas fees? I thought the rule was you had to reside in the UK for three years prior in order to qualify for home fees. I would love to know if I’m mistaken on this rule/not reading it correctly, as I had assumed that was not an option for my own children.

Random thoughts:

Aren’t there some boarding schools still taking applications?

Consider asking @RoonilWazlib99 who they used as a consultant – they clearly were well advised.

1 Like

Many good suggestions—a junior boarding school because they have connections to the high school boarding schools and support him in finding the right fit; and hiring a consultant—expensive but typically there are different levels of service do even creating the best fit school list would be worth it (if you do it now they could also guide you to schools that might have post A10 spots). And I agree—if the LDS would be new to him, you’re not interested in a junior BS and he’s set on finding a BS for the remainder of HS then I’d consider keeping him in his LPS with his friends for consistency as long as he’d be challenged academically, has good EC opportunities, etc.

I just want to share a data point that a boy also in NE area (DD’s friend) who got rejected last year from all top schools with a 2400 SSAT score, got accepted by most top schools this year when he reapplied to 10th grade. From hearing other examples, 10th grade entrance does seem to be a little easier (also know a local girl got into Andover in 10th grade. BS is rare in our local area, and rarely anyone goes to those top ones). Good luck!

Thank you all parents so far for all of the thought provoking angles and considerations. As you can imagine, this is nerve racking for me and him. Many many questions and answers populating my grey matter now. Many permutations on most efficient use of finances and time.

This thread will be ongoing throughout the next 30 days at least I’m sure and when I have time I can finally address questions and counterpoints. This is not a debate so much as a brain storming session.

1 Like