Luggage

<p>Any recommendations for luggage for an OOS student to buy for traveling back and forth to bama? I might fly a few times, but will drive some too. Looking for roomy, lightweight, dependable, and, if it’s a set, nesting qualities for ease of storage. Anyone found good luggage that fits some/all of these criteria? Thanks!</p>

<p>driving i easy. just pack in whatever.</p>

<p>our daughter just keeps one carryon size suitcase for flying back and forth. she is only here for a few days at a time, so a small suitcase is fine.</p>

<p>it is easier to pack in things other than suitcases, IMO, for move in and move out (garbage bags! haha).</p>

<p>The majority of flight attendants and some pilots I see have Travelpro luggage (the Eiffel Tower logo). Frequent travelers often have Tumi luggage and many people live Rick Steves (the Europe Through the Back Door host on PBS) luggage. Costco is a great place to get luggage and the Kirkland Signature luggage is very durable. Nordstrom Rack, Ross Dress for Less, Marshall’s, and TJ Maxx are also good places to buy luggage. If grandma or grandpa wants to buy a useful high school graduation gift, have them take the grandchild to Ross on Tuesday as seniors aged 55+ get an extra 10% off.</p>

<p>My carry-on bag is a small blue roll-aboard I bought at Sears for $12 in early 2001. It has held up remarkably well.</p>

<p>Note too that luggage often has a high MSRP and is then marked down. Also, luggage manufacturers will often not include the wheels in stated measurements, while airline requirements include wheel measurements. Bring a measuring tape and a copy of the carry-on rules for your chosen airline(s).</p>

<p>We like the Kirkland brand rolling carry on from Costco. They also have larger ones, but we find the carry on is all she needs. They’re available in black and of course, crimson.:slight_smile: We’ve found them very durable and affordable. If traveling by car or for moving in/out, we find large, sturdy, plastic boxes work the best for us and easily nest until she needs them again. You’ll notice many students use these routinely during breaks and and move in and move out.</p>

<p>I LOVE this small, wheeled duffle that I got from Costco. It’s not as soft-sided as the typical luggage duffles, but it’s not hard side either…It’s kind of a very stiff soft-side…probably because it’s reinforced?? It is a carry-on, but you can fit a LOT in it!</p>

<p>The brand is fūl. </p>

<p>It is just the right size for a long weekend or even a week. I’ve actually used it for a 2 week trip and I’m NOT a light packer. lol</p>

<p>It was super cheap…like $30</p>

<p>I just looked online, and now it seems like it’s only sold within a set. Mine is the smaller piece.<br>
[Costco</a> - f?l 2-piece Wheeled Duffel Set 28" and 20"](<a href=“http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11760945&whse=bc&Ne=4000000&eCat=bc|90608|62823|64235&N=4047422&Mo=2&No=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=64235&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&hierPath=90608*62823*64235*&topnav=]Costco”>http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11760945&whse=bc&Ne=4000000&eCat=bc|90608|62823|64235&N=4047422&Mo=2&No=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=64235&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&hierPath=90608*62823*64235*&topnav=)
.</p>

<p>I use the Rick Steves mesh bags in them and they fit perfectly…which helps keep things very organized…undies/socks in the little one, tops in the med one, bottoms in the the big one. And, there’s still plenty of room for toiletries and other stuff.</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.amazon.com/Rick-Steves-Packing-Cube-Black/dp/B005CEIJDO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1341925601&sr=8-5&keywords=rick+steves+mesh+bag[/url]”>http://www.amazon.com/Rick-Steves-Packing-Cube-Black/dp/B005CEIJDO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1341925601&sr=8-5&keywords=rick+steves+mesh+bag&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I love those Rick Steves mesh bags (packing cubes). I hate it when my stuff gets all mixed up in my bag after being on a trip a couple of days. The bags (cubes) keep things organized. I actually keep the undies bag packed all the time, so that I can just grab and go with that piece.</p>

<p>Tuesday Morning had some really pretty Houndstooth luggage in a few sizes when I was there last week. I can’t remember the maker…but their brands are usually good.</p>