Lying on the UC transfer application

I know someone who received a bachelors degree in Armenia several years ago (possibly a decade now) and they recently enrolled into one of the UC’s. This person claims they lied on their application and stated they never received a degree. I’m just curious, was the school unable to verify this or do they not usually check these details?

I’m curious as to how the university would even know to check. How would they know where to look? And how would they verify it anyway being that it’s a university in a foreign country with no obligation to share information? I have a couple of friends who attended multiple CC’s but “left off” one of them when they transferring into a UC. Nothing ever came of it. And that was all in California.

"I’m curious as to how the university would even know to check. How would they know where to look? "
This is how-
http://www.studentclearinghouse.org/about/

@menloparkmom, that helps answer a lot of my questions. Basically, the clearinghouse wasn’t around when my friends were pulling their stunts. AND, this only a national data base, so the UC’s would only have access to American universities. The Armenian degree will probably fly under the radar.