MA-238 Prof. Decision

DS will be taking Diff. Equations (MA-238) this Fall and has a choice of two Grad. Student teachers for the class. Little to no info. on either & I believe both taught lower level math last semester. The Choices are Huy Duc Vo and Phylisicia Carter and it would be greatly appreciated if anyone (or their student) has had any previous experience with them (disposition, clarity etc.) and could share with me. Already posted on the parents Facebook pages and no luck on that route. Thanks in advance for any help.

I asked my daughter, and she didn’t know either of them. She took 238 a few years ago, and it was being taught only by professors the semester she took it.

These Grad. Students were teaching MA 112, 115 & 121? last semester…so someone whose student took one of those classes would most probably have some insight…seems like a new group of Grad Students come in from the lower ranks every year to teach 238 ^^beth’s mom^^ thanks for asking your daughter and if anyone else has any info. on these two Grad Students would be appreciated.

I’m a rising junior math major and I took 238 with a grad student this past fall. In general, the content and class format is relatively consistent among the grad student professors. There are a couple who are known for being particularly good lecturers, but beyond that it’s generally the same experience. I would just choose whichever section fits better into your son’s schedule.

^^ Thanks springy…that type of info. “particularly good lecturers” is the exact type of thing he’s looking for…so far the professor has made a huge difference for our DS. Who did you take if I may ask?

Springy, when did they start having the grad students teach the higher level math courses? My daughter was a math major (just graduated earlier this month); she started at UA with MATH 126 and she never had a grad student for any math course at UA.

Toyin Alli and Linden Duffee are very good. Bryan Sandor is also a good lecturer. I had Wei Cui, who was a fine teacher but there were some language barriers. In general, though, DiffEq is not made to be a difficult class at UA.

Grad students teach DiffEq and Linear every other semester. There are usually a few faculty also teaching, but not always. I haven’t minded having grad student professors. They’re typically very invested in learning how to teach, whereas of my faculty professors one was incredible and another was much more focused on his research career. (Although the latter was recently let go… A good call, in my opinion.)

That’s interesting. I guess my daughter just took those courses in semesters when grad students weren’t teaching.

Maybe your son can take a DifEQ class this summer at a community college or university with a “known” professor? My son had Pu (Patrick) Wang and he was a wonderful professor (just like it said on Rate My Professor).

On RMP (rate my professor) there is a Huey Vo rated who may be the same person with misspelled name, not sure. . He had some positive comments. Phylisicia Carter is not listed. Asked around but sorry don’t know them.
My son had Toyin Alli who has completed her PhD. I agree with #6 post stating that grad students/new faculty can be very invested in learning to teach. He said Dr. Alli was enthusiastic, explained the concepts well and even reordered the chapters to teach concepts in a logical pattern. I would not be too concerned in having a grad student but in someone who is enthusiastic in teaching the material.
Suggestions if student is having difficult time or potential difficult class would be to take course in summer, form study group or sit in on another lecture section with prof who is known to explain concept well.

^^Amazondotmom good idea, but he’ll be taking Physics 106 here at home this Summer to stay ahead of the crowd and make Orgo1 a little easier in the Fall. ^^Claire, he saw that and was hoping language/accent wouldn’t be a problem. He’s switched to Ms. Carter for now. Info. on quality of the Grad. Student Prof. over the years on RMP really seems to be hit or miss as to their teaching abilities (either great or abysmal). Calc 2 & Calc 3 were great this year for him
with A+'s in each (but he felt the Proffessor was the difference, Corson for both) so he feels info. on these potentials is important to him. All good advice that I’ll pas on to DS…Thanks