Macalester Class of 2027 Official Thread

This is the official discussion thread for Macalester Class of 2027 RD applicants. Ask your questions and connect with fellow applicants.

RD Application Deadline is: January 15

Surprised that decisions came out just after noon on a Sunday - was not expecting anything until later this week. DS was waitlisted after being deferred from EA. Interviewed but did not visit. 1500 SAT, 9 APs (4,5s so far), NM Commended. Guess they did not see a fit. Looks like last year they pulled zero from the WL.

It’s also possible that the lack of fit was financial since Macalester is need aware for admissions. Sorry for the disappointment and hopefully your son is going to have other great options!

2 Likes

Mac is not need aware. They do meets 100% demonstrated needs based on FAFSA plus CSS profile.

They are need aware in admissions (meaning ability to pay is a factor in admissions decisions) but then meet what they calculate to be your demonstrated need if they admit you.

Is anyone going to one of the Admitted Students days? My daughter and I are going on April 7.

2 Likes

My wife and daughter will also be there on the 7th.

1 Like

hey! person with the daughter who’s suspiciously similar to me!

got rejected by brown + everything other than UW Seattle honors and UMich, both of which were too expensive… so Mac it is! I just put in my deposit tonight.

is your daughter coming to Mac, too?

Hello! Yes, my daughter is happily committed to Macalester. Are you on the Macalester Class of 2027 Instagram page? (It’s fun— incoming students post photos and introduce themselves.) If so, send my daughter a DM. Her name is Gwen and she has red hair.

yep!! my bio is on there. i have a sort of rare first name so i won’t share it here. i’ll send her a DM:)

Although DS chose many need blind schools to apply to, I did not put much stock into the significance of this until he was later accepted at Bowdoin, Hamilton, Vassar, Denison and Kenyon (I believe all NB). Macalester was probably not the best fit of the bunch so that could have been the reason, but also not need blind in admissions, and we needed decent bit of aid to make it work. I understand they meet 100% of demonstrated need - so once accepted hopefully all good news for those families.