Made a typo in my personal statement! Will this totally kill my chances?

<p>I just found this mistake: bu,t instead of but, *
How much of an effect will this have? Also, I am interested in mainly Davis and Irvine, but I’d like to be chanced at all the UCs… Thanks!</p>

<p>Stats:
SAT I (by section): 1980
SAT IIs: Chemistry 740, Math II 630
ACT w/ Writing: 30
APs: Completed: Chemistry, Calculus AB, English Language
In Progress: Gov/Econ, Stats, Bio
GPA: 3.70 Calculated UC GPA
Other stats: 3 classes taken at a local community college (a total of 10 units)
Hours: 405 community service hours</p>

<p>Subjective:
ECs: Martial Arts-10 years
Cross Country- 2 years
Track- 2 years
Habitat for Humanity- 4 years, CO-Pres. 1 year
Hospital Volunteer (over 200 hours)</p>

<p>Job/Work Experience: Taught Karate for 3 years
Currently working as a Tutor/Teacher at a learning center (for about four years now)
Restaurant Hostess
I’ve basically been working my entire high school career</p>

<p>Location/Person:
State or Country: California
School Type: Public
Ethnicity: Asian-Indian

<p>Other: My Freshman year gpa was a 2.3, it rose to a 4.1 by the end of junior year. This could either make or break me and I am addressing it in my personal statement.</p>

<p>THANKS SO MUCH! =]</p>

<p>I’m pretty sure it has no effect on your chances. It’s just a typo; it’s not like it implies you don’t know how to spell or anything.</p>

<p>UCs do not count your freshman grades, BTW, so you might have a higher GPA than you think. As for the typo - not going to be a problem.</p>

<p>Typo is no problem. I am sure the admission people read your essay with meaning in mind and are not entirely strict about punctuation/typos. Most high school students applying to college make mistakes in their personal statements by typos which have no effect on admissions.</p>

<p>Wait another parent, do you know how exactly to calculate the UC gpa? Because, I do not know how to factor in my community college courses, whether to weight them, etc. Why do you think I have a higher GPA than I think?</p>

<p>Don’t worry, it seems you are worrying wayyy too much over your UC applications. Relax, it won’t affect your chances. You have a very good transcript, I’m sure you’ll get into at least Davis or Irvine, if not both. Sadly, there isn’t much you can do to change your chances at this point, so just sit tight till March 31st and focus on other stuff. This finally dawned on me today, believe it or not.</p>

<p>And UC GPA only includes sophomore and junior year grades, so the 2.3 gpa in your freshman year won’t have any impact.</p>

<ol>
<li>on the very intro of the personal statement page: where it guided you through the prompts and all- it says that the readers will not make a judgement according to grammar and punctuation. that being said: you worry to much :slight_smile: they wont see you spelled circle as cirkle and say oh my god this Farsheezy (your CC name) is a failure… REJECT! if they do they go directly against what they are saying and they can get sued for this so they wont make a huge judgmental decision over one word… ur fine man! relax and have a cookie:
<em>gives farsheezy a yummy freshly baked cookie</em></li>
</ol>

<p>btw. what word did you misspell?
also- a future thing, an inside thing between us Indians… we are not asian- we are indians! support your nation! its a sub CONTINENT! make it proud!
lol! a lot of people misunderstand it- its just funny to watch people argue over it… hope you dont mind! but it is a bit irritating where they say NATIVE AMERICAN’s as Indians, whereas us INDIANS are ASIANS LOL! :D</p>

<p><em>no offense to asians!</em>
<em>this was truthful and comedic. if yo you are insulted i am sry. now laugh!</em></p>

<p>OMG a typo? A TYPO!?!?!!?!?! Just remove your application from the pool, there is no point in even trying to get in now. </p>

<p>^ Just kidding =p</p>

<p>I assumed you were talking about your freshman year grades, thus you consider them part of your GPA. It has been 3 years since my son filled in his UC but you self report, and put in grades, so it will calculate it as they expect to see it. Even if they ask you to provide a GPA, they are going to use the one the program calculates.</p>

<p>I know there are UC grade calculators out there, try google.</p>

<p>From master Silverturtle’s guide:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>So it matters little, as it’s only one mistake. Great SAT for Davis / Irvine, by the way!</p>

<p>Okay okay thanks guy, yeah I just had a mini meltdown… and I COMPLETELY agree with spatel23!!! </p>

<p>and no I didn’t count my freshman gpa into my UC gpa, otherwise my gpa would probably be so low I couldn’t even qualify for the some of the schools. However, the application never calculated my gpa for me, nor did it ask me for a gpa. Also, I cannot find a UC gpa, I have only found the CSU gpa and the gpa told me to count each college course TWICE. So if I got a B in one college course, I add a 3+3; it accounts TWO TIMES.</p>

<p>I asked my counselors and they all said that was wrong. Which is why I technically have no idea what my UC GPA is, I just know it is hopefully around a 3.7.</p>