Madison compared to Umich?

<p>Uh ya so im interested in engineering and possibly business. I just got off of Umich's wait list for their engineering college. Anyone have any insights? The problem with Michigan is that it is 43k and i hear they give bad aid, whereas Madison is 19k . These numbers are without financial aid.</p>

<p>For most purposes UW engineering is just as good. The average starting pay is very similar as it is at most schools of eng. Eng firms are not as pretige blinded. UW's eng school is smaller and more undergrad oriented. Many students compete in various national college eng contests and do very well.</p>

<p>There are other UW threads that discuss the two schools relative merits- check them out. You have to decide if it is worth the extra money to go to Michigan. I favor the UW campus so much I would never advise anyone from Wisconsin to bother making the trip through Chicagoland just to spend more money to go to Michigan. Consider all the other facets of each campus and decide where you want to be.</p>

<p>One other factor. The UM engineering campus is isolated from the main campus while UW's is part of the main campus.</p>

<p>"The problem with Michigan is that it is 43k and i hear they give bad aid, whereas Madison is 19k . These numbers are without financial aid."</p>

<p>How do you figure that? Are you in-state for Wisc but out-of-state for Mich? If so, Wisc all the way; the difference in quality isn't worth so much money.</p>