Madison Lodging Question

Hi! My son and I are headed to Madison to take a campus tour and spend some time getting acquainted with the campus and town. Can anyone recommend lodging? I’m looking at on campus options (Wisconsin Union Hotel, Lowell Center, others?) but can stay off campus, as well. Any feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks!

If you are a book lover, stay at the Canturbury Madison. It is part of a book store and each room is decorated based on a character in the Canturbury Tales.

http://canterburymadison.com/

Lowell Center is super convenient to campus and State Street - it is where I have stayed when I visit.

There is a DoubleTree, a Hampton, and the Graduate are all within easy walking distance. You can also stay at Union South, Fluno Center, or Lowell Center. I think those are the best options within walking distance. There are some other downtown hotels a few more blocks.

I just recommend checking rates. We have stayed all over including in Middleton and on the east side depending on when you’re coming into town. Event weekends can be $$$. Also, check parking rates and situations. Most rooms downtown have paid parking. The DoubleTree has free parking. The Graduate was $25 a day valet last time I stayed there. and you didn’t have easy car access. Parking in Madison is crazy town very often.

I’m a Hilton honors person, so I go with the Hampton - it’s an easy walk to campus and a nice, updated facility

I will say, we are both on the Bonvoy Marriot points program and the Hilton honors program and use both in Madison. DoubleTree is on the Hilton system as well. It’s not far from the Hampton. Worth signing up if you’re doing a fair amount of travel visiting colleges and your kid launching.

There are a few Best Westerns that are close to campus and nice. The one on the square is great in summer/when the farmers market is on, but can be pricey if you’re not using rewards.

I’m curious if anyone has tried the Wisconsin Union Hotel and what they thought of the price/value?