Madison vs. Minnesota vs. Michigan vs. Northwestern

<p>I'm doing biomedical engineering, no chance for need based aid</p>

<p>Minnesota - worst academically, 15k, liked campus and honors program, feel like I'm a little too good for this school/All my work will be for nothing, worried about huge student body, 1 hour away from home.</p>

<p>Madison - better academically, 20k, campus too crowded, didn't like busy streets, don't like party atmosphere, 5 hours from home.</p>

<p>Michigan - better academically than both, 48k, again worried about size, campus ok, 11 hours from home.</p>

<p>Northwestern - around level of Michigan, 55k, like size, worried that people will all be geeks, worried about difficulty, loved campus, like Chicago, 8 hours away from home, like prestige/makes all my work in high school feel worthwhile, co-op program supposed to bring 50k-80k in income.</p>

<p>Do Michigan or Northwestern give Merit Aid? Which is best in biomedical engineering?</p>

<p>I really have no idea which to go into. I've been accepted to all but Northwestern, I think I have an 50/50 chance at Northwestern. This is the hardest decision of my life. Oh, and my grandparents are paying for half no matter where I go, so its not like my parents are going to run out of money, but they could be paying 30k for four years or over 100k.</p>

<p>You likely won’t be getting any aid from Michigan, so it doesn’t really make since to pay full tuition to go there. The other publics (I’m assuming Minnesota or Wisconsin for you) are much cheaper because of in-state tuition and reciprocity, and the large hike in tuition just doesn’t make Michigan worth it.</p>

<p>For Northwestern, follow a wait and see approach. If you are accepted, determine if the financial aid they provide (and they will provide aid) is large enough for you to attend. If you are rejected, then the decision is made.</p>

<p>Personally, I’d go for UW-Madison now and send in the hosing deposit. It is just the best bang for your buck as of now. Then wait for Northwestern, and if come spring you decide you can and will attend, you easily can get a refund back from Madison for the housing deposit. Michigan is too expensive, and Minnesota is too crowded/not for you prestigiously.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Well MN isn’t that far down from Madison in academics, is it? The average ACT for the engineering school is 30, which is pretty high. The honors program at MN is nice also. And I’m not sure if MN is more crowded than Madison. I know it has 10k more people, but it has a big city to spread them out. So right now Madison and Minnesota are tied for me. </p>

<p>I agree that Michigan is my fourth choice right now. The environment isn’t much different from Madison/MN and it is far from home (except my grandparents do have a big house on a lake one hour away from ann arbor that they said I could bring my friends to).</p>

<p>Twins127 - We too are from MN and our S is a jr in mech. engineering at Madison. Sindar makes many excellent points. To be clear, I have a strong Bucky bias and will note that while Michigan’s program may be stronger, it’s not twice as good as UW Madison. Given the tuition reciprocity, UW Madison for MN kids can’t be beat. It’s just flat-out an extraordinary value in education.</p>

<p>One other item to consider for UW Madison. During your freshmen year, you have to apply and be admitted into any engineering discipline there including bio-med. Per our son, admissions into the bio-med program at UW is very, very competitive and, in fact, (again per our S) it is the toughest engineering program to gain admission at UW.</p>

<p>I can’t speak to U of MN, Northwestern’s or U Mich’s biomedical eng. programs other than to say that they are all outstanding, particularly U Mich’s. I would assume that the admissions process for each would be similar to UW and that you’d have to apply for admission during your freshmen year. The University of Illinois also has a very highly regarded program. Admission there is tough as well.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>UW campus. You won’t be spending much time on busy streets except if you choose housing on the city side and need to get into campus. You don’t need to party, either. You should spend a day on campus during the semester- crowds only when going between classes. NOT a “crowded campus” you need to see the lakeshore path and housing, go out to Picnic Point, all part of the contiguous campus. </p>

<p>Minn, Wis and Mich comparable academically and all public. Northwestern private- totally different atmosphere in that respect. Be sure to ask about other schools on their forums and websites.</p>

<p>Sounds like you are in the lucky position of needing to make choices. Good advice from Sindar. Put in a refundable deposit at your favorite school of the three you have been accepted at by any deadlines. Then take a break from the college admissions process and relax until spring. Then you can reevaluate and make your final decision. </p>

<p>Please note- Minn does dorm assignment choices based on date of application to them so if you think you want Minn get that task done sooner. You need to send UW Res Halls a request for a deposit refund in addition to asking (in writing) UW, the school, for a refund if you choose not to attend. For every school read the fine print for the school and for housing- it can vary from place to place.</p>

<p>Ultimately you have to pick one place. All good choices as unversities, it may come down to your chances of majoring in Biomedical engineering or your gut feelings about campuses. It may come down to something seemingly silly, but you will do fine.</p>

<p>I’m pretty sure I can get into the program at Madison. The fact that Madison specifically says that bme is only for outstanding students makes it sound like a good program. I also like the fact that bme isn’t 95 percent guys and actually has some girls. </p>

<p>One plus of Minnesota is its honors program. I like this because at such a big school I want to build some good friendships in a small environment with people like me. A counselor at MN told us that the ACT average for an engineer in the honors program is a 34.</p>

<p>Its clear thet Madison is better than MN academically, but does anyone know how the college allows you to connect to others and create a smaller environment like I just explained with MN?</p>

<p>I am interested in taking a minor/certificate in subjects like econ/business/finance. I know Northwestern has some good options. Does Madison have any good programs like these?</p>

<p>Besides online rankings, what characteristics should I look at each school’s bme program to determine which are better?</p>

<p>I would dig into their graduation and job placement information first.</p>

<p>UW has an honors program, too. Probably not as comprehensive as Minnesota’s, but worthwhile.</p>

<p>Madison has learning communities that allow you to create a smaller environment. They are based on what dorm you live in and thus aren’t academically competitive but academic-minded students tend to go for them more. Check out [Welcome</a> to the UW-Madison Division of University Housing Home Page](<a href=“http://www.housing.wisc.edu%5DWelcome”>http://www.housing.wisc.edu) to see them all. Some allow you to get into special small classes which would be just for those in your community - a great way to make friends.</p>

<p>Engineering honors program is not the same as the L&S one, most comments here are regarding L&S one. However, your freshman classes will be mainly in L&S. </p>

<p>Academically minded students do NOT all go for the learning communities- especially those with math/science interests. The Honors math, physics and chemistry taken by freshmen are not connected with them, nor are the regular versions. ILS- Integrated Liberal Studies- is also campus wide and offers Honors sections.</p>

<p>Every university has much the same but with twists on it. You can easily find certificates offered (no minors at UW) on the UW website. Also can research the Honors programs for schools/colleges that interest you.</p>

<p>You may find yourself in many intersecting communities (think good old Venn diagrams). You may have the same people in your math science sections. Have people you spend time with in the dorms. People from church or other activites with similar interests. Any large school is like any large city- composed of many neighborhoods.</p>

<p>Every school on your list will satisfy your needs. The pros and cons are in the eyes of the beholder (pardon my cliches).</p>

<p>You can use Google streetview and other maps to view each campus. UW’s engineering campus had many improvements in recent times- a pleasant area now. The new Union South will be open this spring- near that end of campus. Go where you feel most comfortable- your gut feelings.</p>

<p>So, if everything being equal, I would look at the bottom line in out-of-pocket cost.</p>

<p>Madison or Northwestern. I would avoid minnesota for exactly all of the reasons you mentioned. And to me, madison and michigan are fairly equal, at least for my program, and its not worth having to pay so much more and have a way further distance for about the same thing.</p>

<p>Northwestern does have the prestige, but you’ll have to work REALLY hard. Not that i wanted a cake walk for college by any means, but id actually enjoy having a life. I wouldnt worry about it being nerdy as much, there are normal people everywhere. Also wouldnt plan on getting a scholarship…</p>

<p>I go to madison (that i picked over northwestern), and honestly, i have absolutely no regrets. I was also worried i would feel like i had wasted trying so hard in highschool, but that is definitely not the case. There definitely is a party atmosphere, but its easily ignorable if that isnt your scene. I was overwhelmed that it was too big when i visited, but now that im familiar, it really isnt that large. I’ve never been happier than this school, and id highly recommend it.</p>

<p>Sooo go with northwestern if youve got the money and want to work a ton, madison if otherwise.</p>

<p>Only choose Northwestern if you prefer their college culture over UW’s. I’m referring to the liberal/conservative atmosphere, not any partying you may choose to do/ignore. I thought the UW campus was much prettier. You can work a ton at UW - honors, engineering. You choose the courses and course load.</p>