Mail at UA

<p>So, being from out of state and an incoming UA freshman, I’m filling out an application for absentee ballots for the upcoming year and need an address for them to be sent to. I’m a little confused by what the UA website says - can I really not get mail from USPS (I’m assuming that’s how my ballots will be sent) at Paty, or is it just “packages” in the sense of bulky items? If I have to rent a P/O box, what’s the cost associated with that, and will I be able to rent one when I go down for by BB session at the end of the month, or not until August? Thanks to anyone who can help.</p>

<p>Yes, you have to rent a PO box to receive USPS mail. I believe the cost is around $48/year. Someone correct me if I’m off on the cost.</p>

<p>IIRC you should be able to rent a box during BB.</p>

<p>Welcome. Please let us know where you’re from.</p>

<p>Thanks. I’m from small-town New Hampshire (Brookline, specifically). I can’t wait to move down to AL - I’m so excited for college!</p>

<p>^^^Awesome. You’re going to love UA.</p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>I LOVE hearing enthusiasm and excitement from incoming students. Roll Tide, studentwriter!!</p>

<p>Check the deadlines where you live. If the deadline is earlier than your BB session you can just send the ballot to your home address and have your parents forward it to you. The benefit of having it sent directly to your post office by the Board of Elections is that in most cases it can be tracked electronically, but if it is past the deadline you’ll be better off with the first idea for now. Welcome and Roll Tide!</p>

<p>As I learned the hard way and am often reminded of it by the employees of the campus post office, wait to open a box in person rather than doing it online. Online applications take longer and USPS requires that you prove your identity at the post office where the PO Box is located before they can assign you a box number. The employees at the campus post office are all very friendly and knowledgeable about mailing packages. </p>

<p>As for receiving your absentee ballot, be aware that it can take a long time to arrive in Alabama. If possible, ask your elections bureau to mail your ballot via first class mail. If that doesn’t work, don’t be afraid to call and ask for a replacement ballot or one that you have to print out and mail yourself should your ballot not arrive within the specified time frame.</p>

<p>Welcome to the UA family and Roll Tide!</p>